ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How does your emotional environment(s) influence you? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192215)

mildadhd 06-29-18 01:33 PM

How does your emotional environment(s) influence you?
 
This thread is meant to consider and discuss about emotional environment(s), in general.

How does your emotional environment(s) influence you?

I have noticed that when I forget to take medication, when my emotional environment promotes positive feelings, I function very similar to as if I did take medication.

But if I forget to take medication, when my emotional environment(s) promotes negative feelings, I have a really hard time functioning.

Can anyone else relate?

Thoughts/feelings appreciated.






M

Budkeiser 06-30-18 08:27 AM

Re: How does your emotional environment(s) influence you?
 
Itís good to stay in a positive environment. Negativity affects anyone even without ADHD I think. I try keep myself in check by reminding myself that good days will follow, I just need to wait and when those moments arrive, Iím more pleased because I believed in myself and feel more rewarded.
Iím not saying itís easy to be patient during difficult times. But it has become easier to understand when those times are under my control and I can influence it or not - many years of practice.
For me, the medication doesnít affect being positive or negative.

tudorose 06-30-18 08:49 AM

Re: How does your emotional environment(s) influence you?
 
I simply cannot tolerate having to sit within 5 metres of a narcissist or psychopath. I don't have the skills to block them mentally yet.

sarahsweets 06-30-18 10:39 AM

Re: How does your emotional environment(s) influence you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tudorose (Post 1998989)
I simply cannot tolerate having to sit within 5 metres of a narcissist or psychopath. I don't have the skills to block them mentally yet.

And the problem with that is very often they are so skilled at manipulating we dont even realize it until its too late and we have been wounded.

AdultADHD 06-30-18 02:57 PM

Re: How does your emotional environment(s) influence you?
 
That's a good question. I can definitely tell a difference. If there is negativity in my environment while I'm on medication (Adderall), it doesn't take much before I start to feel more anxious than usual. I'm not nearly as sociable as I used to be, but I think that could have more to do with schedule demands right now than an effort to avoid people for the long term. On medication, I enjoy solitude more than I did before I started on it. The D-Amphetamine salts combo can make me more tense, have higher blood pressure, feel a chest tightness, and generally more uptight anyway, so there isn't really any room for negativity on the agenda. I prefer to just avoid unnecessary interactions that don't have their basis in something that I find positive. That's the approach that seems to be working the best for me right now.

mildadhd 06-30-18 05:51 PM

Re: How does your emotional environment(s) influence you?
 
When the emotional atmosphere is not toxic, and I forget to take the medication, hours after when I realized I forgot to take my medication, I am amazed how well I did without.

That being said. If I forget to take the medication, and the environment turns emotionally toxic. Is usually when I get in trouble.

When the atmosphere is emotionally toxic, medication really helps with my self control and working with other people, until the medication wares off.

Finding a emotional environment that is as less emotionally toxic as possible, seems to be as important as taking medication.




M

mildadhd 06-30-18 05:57 PM

Re: How does your emotional environment(s) influence you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budkeiser (Post 1998987)
Itís good to stay in a positive environment. Negativity affects anyone even without ADHD I think. I try keep myself in check by reminding myself that good days will follow, I just need to wait and when those moments arrive, Iím more pleased because I believed in myself and feel more rewarded.
Iím not saying itís easy to be patient during difficult times. But it has become easier to understand when those times are under my control and I can influence it or not - many years of practice.
For me, the medication doesnít affect being positive or negative.

I agree that negativity effects everyone.

Especially people who have a lack of emotion self regulation.



M

mildadhd 06-30-18 06:21 PM

Re: How does your emotional environment(s) influence you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tudorose (Post 1998989)
I simply cannot tolerate having to sit within 5 metres of a narcissist or psychopath. I don't have the skills to block them mentally yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahsweets (Post 1999006)
And the problem with that is very often they are so skilled at manipulating we dont even realize it until its too late and we have been wounded.



I started a new thread discussion, so I do not derail this thread discussion.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...44#post1999044

All thoughts appreciated.



M

mildadhd 06-30-18 06:40 PM

Re: How does your emotional environment(s) influence you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdultADHD (Post 1999018)
That's a good question. I can definitely tell a difference. If there is negativity in my environment while I'm on medication (Adderall), it doesn't take much before I start to feel more anxious than usual. I'm not nearly as sociable as I used to be, but I think that could have more to do with schedule demands right now than an effort to avoid people for the long term. On medication, I enjoy solitude more than I did before I started on it. The D-Amphetamine salts combo can make me more tense, have higher blood pressure, feel a chest tightness, and generally more uptight anyway, so there isn't really any room for negativity on the agenda. I prefer to just avoid unnecessary interactions that don't have their basis in something that I find positive. That's the approach that seems to be working the best for me right now.

Thanks really helps. I am just starting focusing on understanding a similar approach. (With my doctor's support, I have changed from a higher overall daily dosage of SR methylphenidate that feels like it raises my blood pressure, to a lower overall daily dosage of IR methylphenidate, that effects my blood pressure less, probably due to much less daily overall dosage?) I am just beginning to work on understanding, to reduce the amount of medication and alter my emotional environment. I am presently settling for a combination of both. It is interesting that if I focus on long term improvement of my emotional environment, that sometimes helps me reduce the amount of medication I need, over the long term.

side note, I am not recommending other people stop taking the medication that works for them. I am realizing how much the emotional environment also helps or hinders.

Thanks for the discussion.


All thoughts appreciated.


M

tudorose 06-30-18 07:06 PM

Re: How does your emotional environment(s) influence you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahsweets (Post 1999006)
And the problem with that is very often they are so skilled at manipulating we dont even realize it until its too late and we have been wounded.

I can pick it easily now but only because I got so badly burned. I spent a lot of time studying and researching what I needed to know to stay safe.

On the OP though. You need to work on boundaries to stay safe in a toxic environment. It is easier to enforce boundaries on meds but easier to spot a narc off meds. I do not act the way I used to any more. I am a lot more stand offish these days and don't try to save people. I am off meds so I am very careful of who I let into my emotional space now.

mildadhd 06-30-18 07:42 PM

Re: How does your emotional environment(s) influence you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tudorose (Post 1999050)
I can pick it easily now but only because I got so badly burned. I spent a lot of time studying and researching what I needed to know to stay safe.

On the OP though. You need to work on boundaries to stay safe in a toxic environment. It is easier to enforce boundaries on meds but easier to spot a narc off meds. I do not act the way I used to any more. I am a lot more stand offish these days and don't try to save people. I am off meds so I am very careful of who I let into my emotional space now.


Sorry, I do not understand the term narcissist, or why you are focusing on the term narcissist?

Do you consider all negative feeling emotional environments caused by "narcissists"?

Example

If I hypothetically come home tired and irritable after working overtime and travelling long hours everyday, creating a negative feeling environment for people who live with me, would I be considered a narcissist?






M

AdultADHD 06-30-18 08:04 PM

Re: How does your emotional environment(s) influence you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 1999048)
It is interesting that if I focus on long term improvement of my emotional environment, that sometimes helps me reduce the amount of medication I need, over the long term.
All thoughts appreciated.
M

You make an important distinction that I missed the first time. I reread it and realized you were talking about your emotional state as it's affected by either a positive or negative influence in your environment when you are not on your medication. For some reason I didn't read it as I should have the first time.

That's interesting about how you noticed you feel surprisingly well when you realize you forgot to take the medicine and on the other hand, how negative influences in your immediate environment seem to trigger the desire to take it when maybe otherwise you don't necessarily feel the need.

I see what you mean about you coming to an understanding about managing your emotions with or without your medicine. That truly sounds fantastic. I know you weren't suggesting people stop their meds if it's working for them and I also understand why you made that disclaimer, so to speak, because what's working for you right now may not necessarily be the same exact situation with someone else due to any number of factors.

I like your realization because it's self-aware and empowering, especially contrasted against those who wonder if they'll ever regain that type of self-control after years of dependence on prescription stimulants to cope with ADD/ADHD or even for off-label uses like treating symptoms of depression which can tie in with one's sense of well being and emotions. I believe the type of introspection and self-assessment you shared can be a valuable exercise. It certainly seems safer than the guy who absentmindedly pops another pill just because he feels drained or "down" without a second thought because of the strain it could pose to the cardiovascular system.

The more I thought about it, it occured to me that depending on the specific stimulant, and how long the medication stayed in your body, it could still be present the next day when you forgot to take your next scheduled dose and could be a factor in feeling so similar to how you feel when you take it. That is the kind of gray area where someone would want to be certain all of the drug had been eliminated from the body before inferring a conclusion, I would think. Of course, the duration of action as well as the half life of different stimulants like Methylphenidate or Dextroamphetamine could vary by hours depending on which specific stimulant is taken and more hours for the extended release forms that last longer than the immediate forms.

The only reason I mention that is because someone could feel no change and stop taking their meds only to realize the missed difference a few days later. Of course, you already covered those bases when you said that you weren't suggesting people stop taking their medication. Even so, it is an interesting observation about the potential relationship between emotional environmental influences and perceived efficacy of prescription medication in ADHD patients. It seems like the title of a clinical research study article you'd expect to read in an academic journal. Even today, I still think it's fascinating how compounds like sympathomimetic stimulants can affect the sympathetic nervous system the way they do.

mildadhd 06-30-18 08:24 PM

Re: How does your emotional environment(s) influence you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tudorose (Post 1999050)
I can pick it easily now but only because I got so badly burned. I spent a lot of time studying and researching what I needed to know to stay safe.

On the OP though. You need to work on boundaries to stay safe in a toxic environment. It is easier to enforce boundaries on meds but easier to spot a narc off meds. I do not act the way I used to any more. I am a lot more stand offish these days and don't try to save people. I am off meds so I am very careful of who I let into my emotional space now.

Would two parents who have had years of bad marriage for various reasons, resulting in a negative emotional environment for their children, before finally deciding to get a divorce be considered narcissists?

i am not claiming that you are wrong, I have hardtime understanding terms like narcissist or psychopath.

Neither am I blaming the parents, I am trying to promote awareness for the best possible positive circumstances, when these negative circumstances occur.


M

mildadhd 06-30-18 08:41 PM

Re: How does your emotional environment(s) influence you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdultADHD (Post 1999054)

The more I thought about it, it occured to me that depending on the specific stimulant, and how long the medication stayed in your body, it could still be present the next day when you forgot to take your next scheduled dose and could be a factor in feeling so similar to how you feel when you take it. That is the kind of gray area where someone would want to be certain all of the drug had been eliminated from the body before inferring a conclusion, I would think. Of course, the duration of action as well as the half life of different stimulants like Methylphenidate or Dextroamphetamine could vary by hours depending on which specific stimulant is taken and more hours for the extended release forms that last longer than the immediate forms.

The only reason I mention that is because someone could feel no change and stop taking their meds only to realize the missed difference a few days later. Of course, you already covered those bases when you said that you weren't suggesting people stop taking their medication. Even so, it is an interesting observation about the potential relationship between emotional environmental influences and perceived efficacy of prescription medication in ADHD patients. It seems like the title of a clinical research study article you'd expect to read in an academic journal. Even today, I still think it's fascinating how compounds like sympathomimetic stimulants can affect the sympathetic nervous system the way they do.

I have actually had similar experiences to what you have described when I completely stopped taking medication.

I would have a great day or two, after quitting cold turkey, only to have to start taking medication again.

Maybe because the medication was still partly working before completely leaving my body after a couple of days?

There is also the placebo effect to consider, when I am around other people, like a doctor, a family member, a friend....who I really enjoy being around, creating a positive feeling emotional environment, stimulating the production of opioids in my brain, creating positive feelings in my brain and body. Only to have a reduction in the production of opioids, if I am not around the people I enjoy being around anymore, and after a day or two the placebo effects ware off, the opioids ware off, similar to when a day or two later after the medication wares off?



M

mildadhd 06-30-18 09:04 PM

Re: How does your emotional environment(s) influence you?
 
Interestingly i just noticed I was suppose to take AD(H)D medication 2 hours ago.

But I am doing well without it.

Maybe it is the great discussion.

Maybe I will try taking ADHD medication every 6 hours instead of every 4 hours and see what happens?

(Note I have permission from my doctor, to adjust the time I take medication, please talk to your doctor before changing medication as prescribed, I am also focusing on AD(H)D and medication, other health conditions and medications may not be able to adjust in the same way, always talk to your doctor)





M


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums