ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Do you like roller coaster rides? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193702)

mildadhd 10-18-18 04:43 PM

Do you like roller coaster rides?

Hi, I was wonder how many people who have AD(H)D, like roller coaster rides?

M

namazu 10-18-18 04:44 PM

Re: Do you like roller coaster rides?

I used to, as a kid. It's been many years since the last time I was at an amusement park, though.

Do you / did you enjoy roller coasters?

mildadhd 10-18-18 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namazu (Post 2008936)
I used to, as a kid. It's been many years since the last time I was at an amusement park, though.

Do you / did you enjoy roller coasters?

No. I HATE roller coasters or anything alike, never been interested in any of these types of adrenaline rush at all.

(Although I have self medicated with different substances since at least the age of 10)

I get nauseous on swings at the playground, and nausea has worsened as get I get older, now I can't even swing once.

Not sure if explains or has anything to do with my AD(H)D?

M

TygerSan 10-18-18 05:33 PM

I love them. I like the design and hills of that old wooden coasters (though my neck hates the jerkiness of them).

I am an anxious fraidy cat in real life but the controlled lack of control of the coaster is a good adrenaline rush.

When I was younger I had sensory integration therapy. I used to be able to spin and spin and never get dizzy. One of my exercises was to use a sit and spin and spin until my eyes jerked (typical response related to dizzinesss). Now I get motion sick when I spin or swing too much, but the motion on a roller coaster is varied enough that doesn’t bother me.

namazu 10-18-18 05:34 PM

Mildadhd, I also tend to get queasy from the motion in planes and cars
(especially if I have to read something),
but I didn't have a problem with roller coasters, oddly --
maybe because I could see exactly where I was going and anticipate the motion, and maybe because of the fresh air?

Of course, I don't know how well I'd tolerate a roller coaster in middle age!
I suspect I might enjoy it less now, but I don't know.

Have you ever tried downhill skiing? (I haven't; only cross-country.) If so, what did you think of that?

mildadhd 10-18-18 05:45 PM

I really like both down hill sking, and cross country sking, but have not done either for at least 25 years after blowing out my knees.

I also worry about loose nuts and bolts on roller coasters, but I do not think that has much to do with nausea, because nausea occurs on swings at the playground.

Maybe anxiety?

M

namazu 10-18-18 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 2008941)
I really like both down hill sking, and cross country sking, but have not done either for at least 25 years after blowing out my knees.

Ah, bummer! :(

I was curious if downhill skiing was similar to roller coasters for you,
in that it involves rapid motion and hills and some sense of falling
(and excitement and adrenaline and wind rushing through your hair, if you have hair, and so on). Sounds like you enjoyed downhill skiing much more than roller coasters!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd
I also worry about loose nuts and bolts on roller coasters, but I do not think that has much to do with nausea, because nausea occurs on swings at the playground.

Maybe anxiety?

Sounds like it.

It's probably reasonable to wonder if the coasters are well-maintained
(especially because there have been cases in the news where things weren't and bad outcomes ensued),
but if you spend the whole time worrying that the whole coaster will fall apart and being certain you're gonna die, then it's more likely unhelpful anxiety
(unless it keeps you off an unsafe coaster in the first place!).

TygerSan, if you ever find yourself in the Chicago or Milwaukee areas with a sunny day to spare, you might enjoy the American Eagle at Great America in Gurnee, Illinois.

lisariver 10-18-18 06:32 PM

I don't like the ones that do a 360, terrifying. I went on Space mountain a long time ago, they emptied my pockets and purses, can't imagine what valuables they shake people down for and I got off that ride shaking, swearing never again. I don't need thrills like that, lol. I think the Ferris Wheel is almost as terrifying.

What I do like and have never gotten enough of, are movies that take you on a virtual roller coaster ride, I find a lot of fun and amazement in that experience and I don't mean fancy tech stuff, I mean just plain old-fashioned passenger hand-held camera perspective.

Greyhound1 10-18-18 11:06 PM

The faster, more curves and loops the better for me. I like the wildest ones the best.

sarahsweets 10-19-18 01:19 AM

I used to then once I had kids my equilibrium changed and I get motion sick.

mildadhd 10-19-18 04:42 AM

You'll never get me in one of those giant tea cups again!

M

Little Missy 10-19-18 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyhound1 (Post 2008954)
The faster, more curves and loops the better for me. I like the wildest ones the best.

Me too! Safe terror, I love it!:D

Rebelyell 10-19-18 09:35 AM

No I get motion sick not enjoyable at all..I can take extreme heights but can't do spinning motions

Vrantic 10-22-18 04:18 AM

Definatly no.

Im getting instant nauseatic from it. Further more im constantly anxious being in everything that leaves the ground. This counts for flying, roller coasters, bungie, sometimes even trampolines if it lets you jump very high. Btw, always be careful using trampolines, a guy my mom works with, jumped once on it and was cross section paralysed after. My mom got herself a damaged miniscus. Just be careful on those :-)

acdc01 10-24-18 07:08 PM

Absolute no roller coasters for me. That falling feeling is the worse feeling ever.

I love skiing though I try to stay at controlled speeds and not too steep slopes. The main difference for me I think is control. With roller coasters I have no control in terms of being able to stop the coaster. With skiing, I have the power to stop myself.