ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How to de-stress / relax in the moment? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193731)

Fuzzy12 10-23-18 03:31 PM

How to de-stress / relax in the moment?
 
I get super stressed and frustrated a million times in a day mostly about stupid little things that go wrong, like being late or too much traffic. I can actually feel my blood pressure rising and adrenaline soaking my system. Well, I don't know what exactly it is I'm feeling but my point is that it's a very physical reaction and it's very strong. This can't be good for me.

A lot of these stressors I can't avoid so I need a way to relax in that very moment when I can feel that my blood is starting to boil. Trying to reason with myself or telling myself it's no big deal doesn't work. I've tried breathing exercises but they don't really seem to help for some reason. Is there anything else I could try?

The only constraint is that it has to be something that I am able to do alongside something else (eg while.im driving) so things like "taking a bath" won't work.

lisariver 10-23-18 03:52 PM

Re: How to de-stress / relax in the moment?
 
I know what you mean about feeling it physically. I find CALM magnesium drink helps, but that isn't too easy for you to do if you're driving, it works best with hot water. It helps me with headaches, that I suspect are blood pressure related.

This other thing I do, I would love if you tried, because so far no one has tried it and gotten back to me. I would do it for anxiety. I discovered it once when I was driving to a party that I was dreading because of social anxiety. I was also really depressed at the time.

What I did was, kept practicing to fake a smile, with all my heart trying to act convincing, (in the car, on my way to the party)...really my goal was to practice a winning smile that could show no trace of any downer emotion and I'd imagine arriving with it. I'd be laughing before I got to my destination because the attempts varied from absurd to ludicrous.
You have to imagine holding the smile as you arrive and go through the party or about your business and you have to really try to be convincing. Of course, dont creep out your family, lol, recommend doing it alone. It lightened my spirit a lot.
It's kind of like with that kind of blatant intention, your body can't hold up the contrast, it has to follow the facial expression, I think anyway.

Daniel1970 10-23-18 05:17 PM

Re: How to de-stress / relax in the moment?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 (Post 2009209)
I get super stressed and frustrated a million times in a day mostly about stupid little things that go wrong, like being late or too much traffic. I can actually feel my blood pressure rising and adrenaline soaking my system. Well, I don't know what exactly it is I'm feeling but my point is that it's a very physical reaction and it's very strong. This can't be good for me.

A lot of these stressors I can't avoid so I need a way to relax in that very moment when I can feel that my blood is starting to boil. Trying to reason with myself or telling myself it's no big deal doesn't work. I've tried breathing exercises but they don't really seem to help for some reason. Is there anything else I could try?

The only constraint is that it has to be something that I am able to do alongside something else (eg while.im driving) so things like "taking a bath" won't work.

I get stressed while driving sometimes, and sometimes it helps to pop in the 10% happier app I use and use one of the on-the-go meditations; there's a good one for driving, one for commuting, and one for on the way to work.

They chill me out pretty good.

D.

Greyhound1 10-23-18 07:05 PM

Re: How to de-stress / relax in the moment?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisariver (Post 2009211)
I know what you mean about feeling it physically. I find CALM magnesium drink helps, but that isn't too easy for you to do if you're driving, it works best with hot water. It helps me with headaches, that I suspect are blood pressure related.

This other thing I do, I would love if you tried, because so far no one has tried it and gotten back to me. I would do it for anxiety. I discovered it once when I was driving to a party that I was dreading because of social anxiety. I was also really depressed at the time.

What I did was, kept practicing to fake a smile, with all my heart trying to act convincing, (in the car, on my way to the party)...really my goal was to practice a winning smile that could show no trace of any downer emotion and I'd imagine arriving with it. I'd be laughing before I got to my destination because the attempts varied from absurd to ludicrous.
You have to imagine holding the smile as you arrive and go through the party or about your business and you have to really try to be convincing. Of course, dont creep out your family, lol, recommend doing it alone. It lightened my spirit a lot.
It's kind of like with that kind of blatant intention, your body can't hold up the contrast, it has to follow the facial expression, I think anyway.

That’s a great suggestion about smiling. There is plenty of evidence that the act of smiling really does help. I just need to remember to practice a lot more often. I’m forcing one now.:D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychology Today


How Smiling Affects Your Brain

Each time you smile, you throw a little feel-good party in your brain. The act of smiling activates neural messaging that benefits your health and happiness.

For starters, smiling activates the release of neuropeptides that work toward fighting off stress (3). Neuropeptides are tiny molecules that allow neurons to communicate. They facilitate messaging to the whole body when we are happy, sad, angry, depressed, or excited. The feel-good neurotransmitters — dopamine, endorphins and serotonin — are all released when a smile flashes across your face as well (4). This not only relaxes your body, but it can also lower your heart rate and blood pressure.

The endorphins also act as a natural pain reliever — 100-percent organic and without the potential negative side effects of synthetic concoctions (4).

Finally, the serotonin release brought on by your smile serves as an anti-depressant/mood lifter (5). Many of today’s pharmaceutical anti-depressants also influence the levels of serotonin in your brain, but with a smile, you again don’t have to worry about negative side effects — and you don’t need a prescription from your doctor.


acdc01 10-23-18 08:14 PM

Re: How to de-stress / relax in the moment?
 
Play music and/or sing.

Anti-anxiety meds worked wonders for my mom as I mentioned before though she eventually gave them up cause she herself had side effects.

I expected my blood pressure to go down after I retired due to the incredible drop in stress. It did go down but not as much as I thought it would. I just switched to a new doctor and she's running a ton of tests on me cause she doesn't understand why my blood pressure is so severe that I need tons of medication still. I suspect it's cause I endured too much stress for too long and it's caused permanent damage.

Anxiety shouldn't be taken lightly imo. It can destroy your body long term. I think anti-anxiety meds are worth the risk if without them, you're going to destroy yourself and take years off your life. Sorry, I imagine I sound like a salesman but I feel strongly about this.

CharlesH 10-24-18 01:21 AM

Re: How to de-stress / relax in the moment?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc01 (Post 2009219)
I think anti-anxiety meds are worth the risk if without them, you're going to destroy yourself and take years off your life.

By anti-anxiety meds, do you mean long-term daily use of benzos? Or are you talking more about SSRIs?

acdc01 10-24-18 02:13 AM

Re: How to de-stress / relax in the moment?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesH (Post 2009224)
By anti-anxiety meds, do you mean long-term daily use of benzos? Or are you talking more about SSRIs?

I mean whatever her doctor prescribes her. And I don't necessarily mean long-term either. I realize benzos are mainly for short term.

sarahsweets 10-24-18 02:51 AM

Re: How to de-stress / relax in the moment?
 
I think deep breathing helps. I know that it seems to be the go-to when people talk about stress but its not so much about focusing on your breathing as it is flooding your body with oxygen which does help you calm down.

Fuzzy12 10-24-18 03:38 AM

Re: How to de-stress / relax in the moment?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisariver (Post 2009211)
I know what you mean about feeling it physically. I find CALM magnesium drink helps, but that isn't too easy for you to do if you're driving, it works best with hot water. It helps me with headaches, that I suspect are blood pressure related.

This other thing I do, I would love if you tried, because so far no one has tried it and gotten back to me. I would do it for anxiety. I discovered it once when I was driving to a party that I was dreading because of social anxiety. I was also really depressed at the time.

What I did was, kept practicing to fake a smile, with all my heart trying to act convincing, (in the car, on my way to the party)...really my goal was to practice a winning smile that could show no trace of any downer emotion and I'd imagine arriving with it. I'd be laughing before I got to my destination because the attempts varied from absurd to ludicrous.
You have to imagine holding the smile as you arrive and go through the party or about your business and you have to really try to be convincing. Of course, dont creep out your family, lol, recommend doing it alone. It lightened my spirit a lot.
It's kind of like with that kind of blatant intention, your body can't hold up the contrast, it has to follow the facial expression, I think anyway.


That's a brilliant idea and definitely something I can do while driving!!

mildadhd 10-24-18 03:39 AM

Re: How to de-stress / relax in the moment?
 
Transit?






M

Fuzzy12 10-24-18 03:39 AM

Re: How to de-stress / relax in the moment?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielGM1970 (Post 2009214)
I get stressed while driving sometimes, and sometimes it helps to pop in the 10% happier app I use and use one of the on-the-go meditations; there's a good one for driving, one for commuting, and one for on the way to work.

They chill me out pretty good.

D.

I did actually think of you and the 10% app when I realised I needed something to help me relax. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks.

Fuzzy12 10-24-18 03:45 AM

Re: How to de-stress / relax in the moment?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc01 (Post 2009219)
Play music and/or sing.

Anti-anxiety meds worked wonders for my mom as I mentioned before though she eventually gave them up cause she herself had side effects.

I expected my blood pressure to go down after I retired due to the incredible drop in stress. It did go down but not as much as I thought it would. I just switched to a new doctor and she's running a ton of tests on me cause she doesn't understand why my blood pressure is so severe that I need tons of medication still. I suspect it's cause I endured too much stress for too long and it's caused permanent damage.

Anxiety shouldn't be taken lightly imo. It can destroy your body long term. I think anti-anxiety meds are worth the risk if without them, you're going to destroy yourself and take years off your life. Sorry, I imagine I sound like a salesman but I feel strongly about this.

I don't think it's anxiety as such. I mean I do have anxiety (though not so much right now that I'm off work..long story..I'll update soon sorry :o) I still have a bit of low level underlying anxiety at specific points in the day but right now my main problem (or rather the focus of This thread) are these relatively short lived highly intense bursts of annoyance and frustration.

I guess though maybe if I took an SSRI it might help with the short bursts as well. I did wonders for anxiety when I used to take them.

The last time round when I used to take stimulants that too helped massively with these short stress bursts. I'm not sure it does now because sometimes too irregular in taking the meds.

Fuzzy12 10-24-18 03:45 AM

Re: How to de-stress / relax in the moment?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 2009232)
Transit?






M


Huh? Where? How? Dubai? :scratch:

mildadhd 10-24-18 03:59 AM

Re: How to de-stress / relax in the moment?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 (Post 2009235)
Huh? Where? How? Dubai? :scratch:

I take transit because driving distresses me out.









M

Fuzzy12 10-24-18 04:29 AM

Re: How to de-stress / relax in the moment?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 2009236)
I take transit because driving distresses me out.









M


I'm sorry. I don't understand how you mean transit. I'm assuming you don't mean transit with respect to air travel?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums