ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Caffeine and ADHD, does it help or hurt? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195039)

italianstallion 05-24-19 12:47 PM

Caffeine and ADHD, does it help or hurt?

Sometimes I feel like caffeine gives me an energy boost and some more focus, other times I feel like it does nothing and only makes it harder to relax and get rest later on.

kwalk 01-07-20 10:58 PM

Re: Caffeine and ADHD, does it help or hurt?

It always helps me at work to get me started and wake up

Monox D. I-Fly 01-08-20 04:59 AM

For me it depends. When I'm already exhausted (either physically or psychologically), it really boosts my stamina. However, if I drink it when I'm almost exhausted, it takes me to my exhausted point instead.

Alphawave 01-08-20 09:51 AM

I found before I started meds and wasn't diagnosed, it helped. Now I'm on meds it increases anxiety badly

Kunga Dorji 01-09-20 09:11 PM

It helps a little, but after that no real effect. I can and do sometimes drink quite a lot- but its just a habit, and i easily stop it.
I'm used to having it when having a break- so maybe it has become a conditioned response to the stimulus of coffee.

br3akingchains 01-19-20 11:13 AM

It helps to an extent, only 1 or 2 cups of coffee...more doesn’t add anything. 5hr energy and monster drinks, now that there is gold! 3-5 of those a day did good things for me, maybe it’s all the vitamins and amino acids in them.

Emre22 01-23-20 12:23 PM

it depends on the amount that you drink and your tolerance
too much caffeine causes hand tremor on me, but it doesnt affect my attention in a negative way

Monox D. I-Fly 01-23-20 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emre22 (Post 2023154)
too much caffeine causes hand tremor on me, but it doesnt affect my attention in a negative way

Ah, so this is why I keep having tremor during normal conversation. Some people notice this and whenever they call me out of it, I brushed it off with "you scared me".

Emre22 01-24-20 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monox D. I-Fly (Post 2023166)
Ah, so this is why I keep having tremor during normal conversation. Some people notice this and whenever they call me out of it, I brushed it off with "you scared me".

when others notice and warn me, it makes tremor worse i guess anxiety of stopping it makes it worse

but also i am a smoker, so smoking too much causes it too

worst version of my hand tremor is when there is overdose combination of caffeine&nicotine, i really cant help with it because i love both so i try to ignore hand tremor
my psychatrist said i have some kind of rewarding behaviour, i cant tell that he is wrong

AdrenalineRush 01-24-20 05:56 PM

It depends too much caffeine and I also experience some hand tremors/sweaty palms. For the most part caffeine doesn't seem to cause me to become overly jittery or for my attention to be too bad. I might end up over focusing on something however and get wrapped up in it.

Rebelyell 01-24-20 10:02 PM

It helps me to be able to get up n function or I'd be a slug at work.also keeps my headaches at Bay or I'd have a migraine w out it.

Rebelyell 01-24-20 10:04 PM

People tell me at work I'm also very hyper n they can tell I've had alot of sugar n caffeine cause I'll be bouncing like Tigger driving a low rider.

sarahsweets 01-25-20 07:27 AM

I adore coffee and do not see myself ever giving it up.

Slimmm 01-28-20 10:17 AM

(Preface: Ephedrine is legal in my state - NJ)

Caffeine sometimes gives me more focus. The best med I ever had for ADHD symptoms was Xenadrine (ephedra/caffeine/aspirin). It was OTC, but then they outlawed ephedra. (The "Xenadrine" that is currently sold is a joke.)

Since then I've occasionally taken my own combinations of ephedrine, coffee, and aspirin, but have had no luck with my symptoms. That "cocktail" is a great stimulant, but it does not help with my ADHD symptoms.