ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   You Know You Have ADHD When ... (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107235)

Lunacie 08-10-11 09:46 AM

You Know You Have ADHD When ...
 
Ok, so here's the place for all those little things that "everybody does"
but we do them so often they have a negative impact on our lives. A
place where we can laugh because we're not the only one who struggles
with these things.

(Special thanks to Lady Lark for the idea)


You know you have ADHD when ...

... you pick up the cell phone and it's dead and you have to plug it in
and wait an hour before you can use it.


... you've mislaid the cell phone and when you try to call it and listen
for the ringer so you can find it, the battery is dead so it doesn't ring.


... you pick up the phone to use it and it doesn't work and you realize
you should have paid the phone bill three days ago!

Etcetera 08-10-11 09:55 AM

Re: You Know You Have ADHD When ...
 
... the buzzer on the washing machine will annoy you and not using it will mean that you need to re-wash your clothes because you let them in there for days.

... when you say "days" and you actually just mean around one day.

... when you've been telling yourself you need to buy toothpaste for two weeks now, and you still come home without it. So then you (lo' and behold) actually go to the store ONLY to buy toothpaste (because you had none left, like, really, NONE!) and come home with twenty things, of which none is toothpaste.

... where you tell yourself you need something to wash your dark clothes with and you come home with something for your white laundry. While you actually have two bottles of that standing right next to the laundry machine. While you don't have much white laundry anyway.

... you look for two hours trying to find something, to find it on its correct spot.

... when you look for something and it's right there, in front of you, and you still don't see it.

... when you can write endless long lists like this, but stop in the middle because you realized it could be time to do something non-urgent, but really cool to do anyway.

Lunacie 08-10-11 10:01 AM

Re: You Know You Have ADHD When ...
 
... when you write a list to take to the grocery store so you won't forget the main things you're going for ... and you get there and realize you forgot to bring the list.

Etcetera 08-10-11 10:05 AM

Re: You Know You Have ADHD When ...
 
... when you stop bothering to write grocery lists because you know you'll forget it anyway.

selita 08-10-11 10:09 AM

Re: You Know You Have ADHD When ...
 
...When you pat yourself on the back for getting everything on the list, and then realize you forgot your wallet...

...And locked yourself out of the car.

Etcetera 08-10-11 10:23 AM

Re: You Know You Have ADHD When ...
 
... when you close the door of your appartment, while thinking "I don't have my keys with me!" at the very same second. Poof! Locked out. And you are the only one with the key. The spare key you were going to give to your mom has been laying there for a few weeks on the counter in your kitchen. Yeah, you were going to give it. And now, you're locked out. And have to pay good money just to get someone to open that door again.

... ever since always have your keys in your hands. Like always. And they annoy everyone. So when you do put them in your purse (because someone finds it annoying) you freak out every minute or so "WHERE ARE MY KEYS?" to ten seconds later figure out they were in your purse.

... when your mom (or whoever is with you at the time being) constantly has to take your keys to you while shopping because you put them on the shelves and forget you put them there.

... when you're so busy remembering your wallet and purse in the restaurant you forget your keys on the table.

... when remembering your keys becomes a very important task.

stef 08-10-11 10:30 AM

Re: You Know You Have ADHD When ...
 
grocery list variation: you wrote a list, have the list with you, and choose not to use it, "because it's more fun that way".

Lunacie 08-10-11 10:39 AM

Re: You Know You Have ADHD When ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Etcetera (Post 1150864)
... when you close the door of your appartment, while thinking "I don't have my keys with me!" at the very same second. Poof! Locked out. And you are the only one with the key. The spare key you were going to give to your mom has been laying there for a few weeks on the counter in your kitchen. Yeah, you were going to give it. And now, you're locked out. And have to pay good money just to get someone to open that door again.

... ever since always have your keys in your hands. Like always. And they annoy everyone. So when you do put them in your purse (because someone finds it annoying) you freak out every minute or so "WHERE ARE MY KEYS?" to ten seconds later figure out they were in your purse.

... when your mom (or whoever is with you at the time being) constantly has to take your keys to you while shopping because you put them on the shelves and forget you put them there.

... when you're so busy remembering your wallet and purse in the restaurant you forget your keys on the table.

... when remembering your keys becomes a very important task.

I got one of those stretchy spiral ring things that I slip over my wrist when I take my keys out of the car or the door. It annoys me to have them banging against things when I use my hands, but I haven't lost/forgotten them since I got it. And when I get home I hang them on the hook behind the front door. I don't know if I could have done this in my 30's, but I can now. Yay.

Etcetera 08-10-11 10:43 AM

Re: You Know You Have ADHD When ...
 
I always place my keys wherever I have place for them. Being all smart and hanging them somewhere... Just not my style. At my mom's place, I tend to (most of the time) put them on the stairs, because it's the first place I can. At home, it's like everywhere. As long as it isn't the same spot twice.

holmracing 08-10-11 10:50 AM

Re: You Know You Have ADHD When ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunacie (Post 1150842)
Ok, so here's the place for all those little things that "everybody does"
but we do them so often they have a negative impact on our lives. A
place where we can laugh because we're not the only one who struggles
with these things.

(Special thanks to Lady Lark for the idea)


You know you have ADHD when ...

... you pick up the cell phone and it's dead and you have to plug it in
and wait an hour before you can use it.


... you've mislaid the cell phone and when you try to call it and listen
for the ringer so you can find it, the battery is dead so it doesn't ring.


... you pick up the phone to use it and it doesn't work and you realize
you should have paid the phone bill three days ago!

Thank you for this... You just reminded me that i have to make a long drive today and my cell phone is still in my car and the battery is dead.. again! So i need to plug it in and hope it will be charged before i leave in a little over an hour!

A funny to add to this: I went out and got my phone then remembered something else and put the phone in my pocket... then forgot to plug it in until i read this post again!... I'm a ditz i know!

Gormur 08-10-11 10:55 AM

Re: You Know You Have ADHD When ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by selita (Post 1150855)
...When you pat yourself on the back for getting everything on the list, and then realize you forgot your wallet...

...And locked yourself out of the car.

Haha. I locked myself out of the car so many times, i mastered the art of hi-jacking my own vehicle. Seriously. I'd have the coat-hanger ready to go.. After a while i just bought like 4 extra sets of keys for my car and house

I always keep my keys on a key-ring attached to my belt now

holmracing 08-10-11 10:55 AM

Re: You Know You Have ADHD When ...
 
oh two more for you!

On the grocery list - You make a "menu" for two weeks and make your grocery list off of that... Then lose the menu within a day of making it and forget the grocery list so you have no idea what you were going to make anyway!

On the Keys - You often ask your 4 year old to help you find your keys because he is better at finding them than you are!

Gormur 08-10-11 11:04 AM

Re: You Know You Have ADHD When ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Etcetera (Post 1150853)
... when you stop bothering to write grocery lists because you know you'll forget it anyway.

I put my lists on my cell/mobile-phone. That way i don't waste paper that i'll forget to take with me and i get to act like a hot-shot in public

total win-win situation IMO ;)


Before cellphones, i made these scattered lists that no one could read..myself included

Etcetera 08-10-11 11:05 AM

Re: You Know You Have ADHD When ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gormur (Post 1150891)
I put my lists on my cell/mobile-phone. That way i don't waste paper that i'll forget to take with me and i get to act like a hot-shot in public

a win-win situation IMO ;)

Now that would be a smart thing to do. Unfortunately, I rarely do smart things. :D

holmracing 08-10-11 11:13 AM

Re: You Know You Have ADHD When ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gormur (Post 1150891)
I put my lists on my cell/mobile-phone. That way i don't waste paper that i'll forget to take with me and i get to act like a hot-shot in public

total win-win situation IMO ;)


Before cellphones, i made these scattered lists that no one could read..myself included

This is great idea as long as you always remember your cell phone AND remember to charge your cell phone.... Both mean it would never work for me! LOL


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums