ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How do you get past the interview stage? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182578)

Fraser_0762 01-09-17 03:03 PM

How do you get past the interview stage?

So it's said that one of the most glaring aspects of ADD/HD is going through many different employers because you can't maintain the job.

But in order for that to be possible, you'd have to be quite good at interviews in order to get the jobs in the first place.

So a question for those who have been through many employers. How did you get through so many interviews?

The reason I ask is because I can't get passed the interview stage. Interviewers pick up on my issues very quickly. I usually trip myself up on the very first question, because I just can't structure my answers in a professional manner, especially when I feel under pressure.

What is the secret?

Greyhound1 01-09-17 03:18 PM

Re: How do you get past the interview stage?

Xanax is my secret to getting through a tough interview. Having much less anxiety always helps my performance.

Fuzzy12 01-09-17 03:19 PM

I have exactly the same problem fraser. Well, since my employment history is so sketchy and my skills are all over the place I struggle to get interviews in the first place.

I also struggle hugely though with expressing myself well and professionally in interviews.

When I was giving lots of interviews it got a bit better so it improves with practice I guess. I don't know. Somehow I used to be better at interviews than I am now.

Also what might help is to think about questions you can expect and formulate loosely your answers in advance.

Fraser_0762 01-09-17 03:26 PM

I don't get many interviews either. But the one's I have had have always been a complete disaster. I just come across as a complete nervous wreck who would be incapable of doing the job.

I try to anticipate what questions will be asked, as some of them are questions that get asked in about 90% of interviews. The problem is in the wording though. Unless they word the question in exactly the way I practiced for, I fail to realize at the time that the question they're asking me is more or less the same question, but worded differently. My processing abilities (or lack of) really let me down there.

ginniebean 01-09-17 05:48 PM

i've never been good at job interviews either. i have taken valium to get me thru, a small dose keeps the nerves down. Do you think your doc might be willing to write you a script for a few to get thru interviews? asking you might find them quite willing.