ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How motivate yourself to stay consistent? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188912)

Mr. Assertive24 11-13-17 05:08 AM

How motivate yourself to stay consistent?

Hello everyone, I am new here. I was diagnosed when I was 24 but didn't obtain meds until early 25. I am 26 now and here I am trying to make it all come together. My flaws are procrastination and time management (surprise, surprise).

I have had spurts of incredible productivity but if there is something really daunting that will take time and will take laps to get through (like canceling your credit card but you need your dads info and need to call him) I will not do it. I will wait awhile, even though in my head, I know that I have to get it over with.

Lately, I have been working on it. When my body says no, my brain will say yes. It is not perfect but that is all I got right now :(. How about you guys? Any tips? And yes, my planner is kind of streaky. I write it in here and there but after 3 days, I stop.

Thank you all!!!

sarahsweets 11-13-17 08:55 AM

Re: How motivate yourself to stay consistent?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Assertive24 (Post 1972589)
Hello everyone, I am new here. I was diagnosed when I was 24 but didn't obtain meds until early 25. I am 26 now and here I am trying to make it all come together. My flaws are procrastination and time management (surprise, surprise).

I have had spurts of incredible productivity but if there is something really daunting that will take time and will take laps to get through (like canceling your credit card but you need your dads info and need to call him) I will not do it. I will wait awhile, even though in my head, I know that I have to get it over with.

Lately, I have been working on it. When my body says no, my brain will say yes. It is not perfect but that is all I got right now :(. How about you guys? Any tips? And yes, my planner is kind of streaky. I write it in here and there but after 3 days, I stop.

Thank you all!!!

I identify. I am terrible with planners but dont tell Staples that because Im like hot for office supplies. Reminder apps are so easy to ignore and my paper calender at home is what I use for the family so I should realize by now that a paper planner would be my best bet. I was looking into a bullet planner but it confuses me. When things are down to the wire hard if I hit them in the morning, I am very effective because pressure motivates me and the accomplishment feelings after dealing with something big and scary is like a high. Its sick, I know.
Then there are dumb things like a list of phone calls and I will procrastinate terrible even though they are not hard.
I have built some habits though that I am absolutely rigid about and it works. I had to revamp and retrain my body and sleep schedule and now its clockwork.(took 9 months) I went from never doing the dishes to doing them everyday because I finally got the memo that they are always worse the second day and I hate running out of forks.[about a year)
I now set my coffee up everyday the night before (about 7 months)..things like that were hard for me but I did it. You'd think I'd have my act together by now but I dont.

Hazel87 11-15-17 08:42 PM

I can relate so much. I am owed a back payment of probably 2000-3000 from the gov't and all I need to do is call the place I last did my taxes and get a number on the form from them and call the gov't back and it's been like 6 months lol. It's just totally ridiculous and I too am hoping to get on top of this, because it's not good. I am on medication too and it helps a lot of issues but not this one.

Planners dont really work for me, I just end up not writing in them or never have it on me, or whatever. I write notes everywhere and lose them. I bought a small notebook that can fit in my purse/pocket and just try to write all my notes in there. It's more chaotic but somehow my mind makes more sense of it than a planner lol. Also, I think having a somewhat rigid routine helps, I write out a schedule for the day and set out a chunk of time where that is when I am scheduled to do these things and have to do it. I try to remind myself how good it feels when I've got it done with.

Ronelh 11-17-17 11:23 AM

I haven't done well with planners either. They are never there when I need them. I've tried keeping them in my purse but they just get all scrunched up and forgotten at the bottom of the purse. :-(

I have done better with an app called ToDoist. It works better for me because it is on my iPad and I usually have my iPad somewhere near my person. No scrunching it up in the bottom of my purse!! Basically, if a project isn't written down on ToDoist, it will probably not get done. Of course, even the items that ARE written on ToDoist might not get done, but at least there is a higher chance of it. :-)

Having said that, I still haven't got it all together as well as I'd like, even with helpful apps like Todoist. I'm worst at procrastinating on phone calls. I hate making phone calls. I think it's because I find it hard to keep my attention on what the other person is saying on the phone. They aren't there in front of me so I can focus on their face instead of the things around me, so it is real work to keep my mind from wandering all over the place. I would much rather that people either email me, or come by my house in person. :-/