ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Suggestions & Feedback (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Hitting the "Thanks" button-for newcomers. (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70429)

Dizfriz 07-13-09 12:13 PM

Hitting the "Thanks" button-for newcomers.

A SUGGESTION FOR NEWCOMERS: THE "THANKS" BUTTON.

At the bottom right of each post there is a "Thanks" button. Pressing this button is a very good thing. It leaves a message: "The Following User(s) Says Thank You to (poster's name) For This Useful Post:" and lists those who have left thank you's.

This simple act helps motivate posters to post more and rewards their effort to write a thoughtful post. For those who have had to built up the nerve to finally post here, this reinforcement is, in my opinion, really important. To finally post and get no response of any sort can be very discouraging. Often, I suspect the thanks is even more important than a posted response. It is a sign that the effort was appreciated and recognized. Don't do this indiscriminately, but when you see something worth while.....hit thanks.

Also be aware of the reputation icon. It is the "justice scale" symbol on the bar just above the top of the post itself. Leave comments. This has a lot to do with the number of green squares you see attached to someone's name so it can be an effective motivator. I see this as a way of acknowledging really good posts so it well and often.

To recap: I encourage all to hit the "Thanks" icon for good posts and for those people who you want to continue posting. You cannot thank people too many times and considering that so many here are ADHD, reinforcement is even more important.

Hit "Thanks" a lot. It is simple, easy and really does make a difference.

Dizfriz

sarek 07-13-09 05:49 PM

Re: Hitting the "Thanks" button-for newcomers.

This practice is actually a very good alternative to answering a post I agree with completely but do not have anything of substance to add to. It reduces clutter.

ginniebean 07-13-09 05:51 PM

I do that too sarek, or it's kinda like a friendly pat when someone is down too.

FinallyAnswered 07-14-09 01:29 AM

I can't find the "You're Welcome!" button......:mad:.............:D

doiadhd 07-14-09 03:30 AM

I don'y really have anything to add.....but could do with a couple of thankyou's to perk me up.(please?)

I'm really trigger happy with that thankyou button...it is my answer for every emotion on here,good or bad!

If someone makes me laugh or think...*click*

If someone is rude or pssing me off...*click*

Thankyou *click*

Blood-Phoenix 08-18-09 10:25 PM

I've never seen this feature on any other forums I've been on, but I think its great. Anyone who's been on the internet for any length of time will have seen otherwise great threads buried under onslaughts of messages reading: "Ditto" or "Me too".

So, at risk of following in that pattern, I agree wholeheartedly with Sarek,
and want to "thank you" for the Thank You button. :cool:

NZgirl 04-21-10 07:31 AM

What a great feature!!! Saves posts saying thanks and also encourages more kudos - so thanks!

meridian 05-09-10 12:01 AM

I've started hitting thanks anytime I come across a first time poster so that they will see the "Thanked 1 times in 1 post" or whatever and perhaps get the clue! :)

CircularingCats 05-09-10 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meridian (Post 878280)
I've started hitting thanks anytime I come across a first time poster so that they will see the "Thanked 1 times in 1 post" or whatever and perhaps get the clue! :)

I remember my first thanked post and I was like, "Wow, someone likes my stuff!" :D

Sure is a good way to "hear" others' feedback.

imBushe 08-29-10 01:52 AM

Obvious ploy to boost your thank count...... I keed I keed

Honestly though the thank feature is awesome. I'm new to the forums here, but I noticed this right away. After a few posts some of which.....a personal nature....... I was thanked...whats this?? It truly made me feel much more confident. It made me feel warm and fuzzy. It is not just the thanks itself, but it was the fact that I know somebody took the time to read what I had to say and that maybe in some small way they relate to it. How awesome a feature Kudos for sure.

mechnik 08-29-10 03:25 AM

Thank you for setting up this feature.
For a really long thread it might be desireable to view in order comments with the most thanks.
Who knows, it might encourage even more great writing.
Slashdot type sites have a comment 'score' system and allow to view comments chronologically or by their 'score'.
(This feature probably already exists and I don't know how to use it)

Dizfriz 08-29-10 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechnik (Post 933884)
Thank you for setting up this feature.

I appreciate it but I am just another poster, nothing more.

You might want to thank those who set up and run the board. They deserve it.

Dizfriz

Alex9 08-30-10 10:04 PM

I love being thanked. It makes me feel useful.

Seriously though, its a great way to recognize good posts without cluttering threads with "yeah, that guy is right" type of messages.

ZiggyFry 08-31-10 11:54 PM

I am in love with the thanks button.

It's like putting a big red button in front of me. Of COURSE I'm gonna hit it over and over again!

Sin.Ziggy.

Alex9 09-04-10 01:06 PM

And with so many ad(h)d people here, everyone impulsively hits it:)