ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Parenting Issues (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   You know your child is ADHD when... (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49258)

MommaHen03 02-21-08 12:50 PM

Re: You know your child is ADHD when...

You know your child is ADHD when a 200 count package of paper disapears in less than 2 hours only to reappear as tinny little squares cut up everywhere!

Lunacie 02-21-08 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommaHen03 (Post 550034)
You know your child is ADHD when a 200 count package of paper disapears in less than 2 hours only to reappear as tinny little squares cut up everywhere!

The whole package? I guess I was lucky that my granddaughter only swiped about a dozen sheets of paper at a time. Or I was better about catching her before she used them all.

Scattered 02-21-08 06:14 PM

You know your child is ADHD when:

* You take her to the doctor to have her hearing tested, because she isn't responding to your requests and the doctor says, "Her hearing is fine -- there may be some attentional problems!":rolleyes:

* The other children are quietly listening to the story at church while she is swinging from the rafters of the small model church in the kid's room.:p

* Your mom tells you, "She's just like you were as a child!":eek:

Imnapl 02-21-08 07:19 PM

. . . when he's the youngest kid in the school to show up for the jogging club when it was -20ēCelsius. The teacher in charge was so impressed, he had a special award engraved for the enthusiastic seven year old. Who knew?

Imnapl 02-21-08 07:21 PM

. . . I turned my back on my fourteen month old daughter in a petting zoo. She was dressed like a dolly in frills and lace and kissing the dirtiest sheep I've ever seen!

Scattered 02-21-08 08:23 PM

Imnapl, I think I'd really like your kids!:) Nothing like determination!

Imnapl 02-22-08 02:30 AM

Thanks, Scattered. Your little wild child sounds like my kind of kid too. I love this thread.

busyhermit 02-22-08 11:00 AM

My son really loves soccer, and loves playing. But when it's his group's turn to go on the field, his teammates jump up from the bench and go onto the field - leaving him sitting on the bench playing with his water bottle. The coach has to holler his name a couple of times to get his attention and get him out on the field. Then, of course, there are the moments that the ball is kicked directly to him, but he doesn't even see it coming because he's looking at something out in the crowd.

wifeandmom 02-23-08 08:03 PM

One minute your five year old dd is happily swinging from the monkey bars (that elevated ladder thing) at the park. You turn to speak to another parent and notice the look of terror on his face. You turn around to see your lovely child standing on top of the monkey bars, fists over her head a la Rocky Balboa.

wifeandmom 02-23-08 08:05 PM

You get a call from the Kindergarten teacher asking you to explain to your daughter (again) that she needs to stop flashing everyone in class to prove that all mammals have nipples.

Lady Lark 02-23-08 09:27 PM

I found Steven one day sitting on the floor of his room drinking the mustard right out of the bottle. He looked up at me and said in this sad little voice, "Mommy it's hot."

He still doesn't want mustard to this day, and that was over five years ago!

Lunacie 02-24-08 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wifeandmom (Post 551098)
One minute your five year old dd is happily swinging from the monkey bars (that elevated ladder thing) at the park. You turn to speak to another parent and notice the look of terror on his face. You turn around to see your lovely child standing on top of the monkey bars, fists over her head a la Rocky Balboa.

Yep, that sounds like my granddaughter. She was climbing on things when she was only 2 that were taller than my head. Scared the crap out of me since I'm horribly scared of heights, but she has never fallen.

reesah 02-24-08 12:28 PM

3 stories from my childhood.

...when you have to call the fire department because your seven year old can't climb back down out of a 100 ft tall tree

...when your 8 yr old is left field in softball, and a ball finally gets hit to her zone, and it hits her and knocks her out because she was sitting down looking for 4 leaf clovers

(this one is my brother. he is ADD...more even than me)
...when your four year old is told to go get dressed, goes into his room for hal an hour, and comes out naked except for being colored with permanent marker from the neck to the knees. FULLY colored. every bit of him. with black marker.

it took weeks for my mom to get it cleaned off. his knees were black for a month.

Scattered 02-24-08 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wifeandmom (Post 551099)
You get a call from the Kindergarten teacher asking you to explain to your daughter (again) that she needs to stop flashing everyone in class to prove that all mammals have nipples.

Ah -- a budding scientist!:)

Pray4Him 02-24-08 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wifeandmom (Post 551099)

When my son was in the 3rd grade he got sent home b/c he dropped his pants in front of a girl in the playground. When asked why he did it he looked at my ex with a straight face and said "she dared me too." My ex's reply was "if she asked you to jump off a bridge would you?" Again without missing a beat my son said "That question's so stupid I'm not even going to answer it!"

At that point I had to leave the room!