ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Suggestions & Feedback (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   This site should be booming (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195588)

Slimmm 02-01-20 03:34 PM

This site should be booming
 
This forum is really well laid-out. It's got so many sections, and it's totally user-friendly. But damn, is it quiet. Is there just too much competition out there?

I looked at some forums before joining here, and they looked amateur. This forum is very impressive in design, and has some good threads and helpful people. But here, as good as it is, there are entire sub-forums that died years ago.

I have nothing constructive to say. I'm just lamenting the fact that this site doesn't get more traffic.

Oh, there is one bad thing I noticed. I never get email notifications. Sometimes I forget to click the box, but several times I have, and I have not ever, even once, got an email notification.

Greyhound1 02-01-20 03:51 PM

Re: This site should be booming
 
This is a great forum that is loaded with information. When I joined it was much much busier. It’s sad seeing it slow to a crawl. I really hope it picks back up but I’m not too optimistic. It seems like the novelty of forums in general has worn off. As someone mentioned here before “forums are so 2000”. They all seem to be slowing down from my experience.

namazu 02-01-20 04:00 PM

Re: This site should be booming
 
Slimmm, we're glad you're here, anyway!

Bring all your friends, your frenemies, random guys off the street.... :lol:

I don't know what's up with the e-mail notifications, but I'll ask our Admin Andrew, who handles technical issues like that.

Emre22 02-01-20 04:53 PM

Re: This site should be booming
 
i think it isnt about site, especially since social media became wide spread , forums started to lose it's popularity in my opinion

i was born in 1994 , i dont know maybe i am becoming old :) or i like old fashioned things in some topics

and forums are one of them

midnightstar 02-01-20 05:42 PM

Re: This site should be booming
 
I think another factor for the lack of activity here is the tech problems this site has had from when I joined up to present day :(

Rebelyell 02-01-20 07:22 PM

Re: This site should be booming
 
Facebook has killed alot of forums i.believe too.welcome to the forum anyway!!

Marjatta 02-01-20 08:17 PM

Re: This site should be booming
 
Fixing the bug that there's a front page from which one can't log in might attract some new folks, because the link from the front page to register doesn't work either. At least not all the time.

namazu 02-01-20 08:31 PM

Re: This site should be booming
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marjatta (Post 2023438)
Fixing the bug that there's a front page from which one can't log in might attract some new folks, because the link from the front page to register doesn't work either. At least not all the time.

Yes. This has been a known problem for years; unfortunately, the person who owns the website is the only one with the permissions to fix it, and he has not done so.

Monox D. I-Fly 02-03-20 02:04 AM

Re: This site should be booming
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by namazu (Post 2023416)
Bring all your friends, your frenemies, random guys off the street.... :lol:

I honestly think that it's not a good idea.
My sister invited me to a Facebook group for people who care about schizophrenia, and most members there are friendly and supporting each other just like here. However, sometimes, people who don't even care about mental illness got invited (probably by a friend who's a member of the group) and they start judging everyone, belittling and dismissing people's depression and suicidal thoughts. I don't want similar circumstances to happen here.

namazu 02-03-20 02:07 AM

Re: This site should be booming
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monox D. I-Fly (Post 2023478)
I honestly think that it's not a good idea.
My sister invited me to a Facebook group for people who care about schizophrenia, and most members there are friendly and supporting each other just like here. However, sometimes, people who don't even care about mental illness got invited (probably by a friend who's a member of the group) and they start judging everyone, belittling and dismissing people's depression and suicidal thoughts. I don't want similar circumstances to happen here.

I was joking. ;)

I agree that support forums work best when they're populated by people who actually care. Our site etiquette guidelines also make it clear that we welcome supportive posts and do not tolerate insults, flaming, or demeaning behavior.

tudorose 02-04-20 04:35 AM

Re: This site should be booming
 
I joined here in 2003. The intention was that it was an information resource because there was a lack of credible information around. In time it became a social network. It got busy, there were personality clashes, then technical issues and less members because people don't frequent forums in favour of Facebook which is an inferior platform for organising information.

eeyore 02-05-20 01:28 PM

Re: This site should be booming
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightstar (Post 2023426)
I think another factor for the lack of activity here is the tech problems this site has had from when I joined up to present day :(

there seems to be serious Search Engine Optimization issues with the site - I have to use insider tricks to get it on google for me - I google "add forums what is bothering you right now", and that gets me here.

Unless im missing something with google, this probably has a large negative impact on new blood arriving, and it is possible old members looking to return cant even find the place.

LonePiper 05-08-20 07:07 AM

Re: This site should be booming
 
I noticed how quiet it is here too. It feels like a big mansion filled with rooms that nobody has gone into for years.
I've been using different forums since about 2001. I'm never a HUGE poster, and most forums I stop visiting after a few months, but there have been one or two I really got into.
I hate facebook and social media in general. I dunno, somehow it gives me anxiety and I avoid it as much as I can, but forums give me a happy warm feeling and I know where I sit with them. Shame they seem to be slowly fading away.

For the record, when I was looking for an ADHD forum, this one did not show up on google, but it was the first result on QWANT.

Monox D. I-Fly 05-08-20 10:11 PM

Re: This site should be booming
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LonePiper (Post 2025340)
I hate facebook and social media in general. I dunno, somehow it gives me anxiety and I avoid it as much as I can, but forums give me a happy warm feeling and I know where I sit with them. Shame they seem to be slowly fading away.

I don't hate social medias in general, it's just they're not a good place for many people to discuss something together. Once a post has been buried, it takes a lot of effort to dig that up. Forums are the best place for such things.

stef 05-09-20 04:16 AM

Re: This site should be booming
 
I don't want to discuss adhd and personal issues on social media because i need fb and twitter for work, and creating seperate accounts is a disaster waiting to happen.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums