ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Which symptoms do you have? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189445)

aeon 12-12-17 01:33 PM

Re: Which symptoms do you have?

From another post:

I was diagnosed (at age 41, am 48 now) as ADHD, primarily inattentive, severe degree.

Without medication, I am scattered, and it is as if I am in a mental fog. I will stare into space, daydream, drop non-sequiturs like no tomorrow, do the whole “ooh, a squirrel” thing. Sometimes there is a noise in my head that sounds like the static of a dozen poorly-tuned radios, with bits of songs playing alongside each other. Meds ameliorate all of those things.

When it comes to an individual task, I am, in general, very precise and I don’t miss details. That said, in my job, the sheer number of tasks and sequential tasks is sometimes overwhelming. I keep my desktop organized so that nothing goes missing, and I make use of the Microsoft Outlook tasks function, yet, from time to time, I am oblivious to/forget about/misplace the details of a task. This is in part fueled by the constant interruptions that my job provides. Without medication, I could not do this job, for multiple reasons related to ADHD presentation.

Sustaining my attention on cognitively easy but boring tasks, especially if they involve paperwork, is near-impossible without medication. Music can help, but only to a degree. Meds make it possible, and I can even perform like some kind of machine, and really bang it out. Without meds, my mind wanders, I’ve got 27 tabs open, and I am doing everything other than what I need to, because the mental anguish of doing boring work is so great.

I listen well, even without meds, but without them any distracting stimulus can shatter my concentration. With meds, I can sustain even in the presence of other would-be distractions.

I follow through with things, but even with meds, sometimes things take longer than they should because of issues of initiation, sustained attention, persistence of focus, and distraction. At work anyway. At home…well, follow through is sometimes lacking.

I used to be poor at organizing tasks and activities, as well as time management and estimation, but over the years I have learned (from failure) some skills on how to do these things properly. And yes, meds help a lot.

“Often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort.” – Yep, that’s me…off of meds…on Dex, I can dive right into, e.g., deep paperwork, construction of complex Excel spreadsheets, and so on. And to some degree, if it is of interest to me, it is easier…if it is pure work for someone else, it is more difficult. It helps to make everything a challenge or game, because then it can feel like play…sometimes.

I misplace things, but when it comes to the mission-critical stuff, I do not, and I have never lost my keys, wallet, phone, and so on. Okay, I once lost a glucose meter…still scratching my head about that one and how I managed to do it.

I am easily extracted by external stimuli…and when trying to focus on something, sometimes sound will just shatter my concentration. With meds, this completely changes…the difference is night and day.

Forgetful in activities? Sometimes…but after a lifetime of frustration, I try to plan and be neurotic so this rarely happens. When it comes to work stuff, I have to address them as they present themselves…reply to emails right away, return calls right away, enter bills right away…and I keep a list of routine tasks in Outlook so I can be reminded, over and over…and my bosses know they are welcome to remind me of anything that is important to them, and I will always be glad for the reminder, and that they will never bother me in the slightest by doing so. Perhaps that is my biggest “accommodation” at work.

The only impulsive symptom I have is that (without meds) I detest queueing and slow traffic. I can wait my turn but it feels like torture. In line, I fidget, and when driving, I swear and implore other drivers to move their you-know-whats. I don’t drive like a jerk, but I know I have pulled a jerk move a few times due to misjudgement. On Dex, this goes away almost entirely…I can queue with endless patience, and I can relax in traffic and only protest the most egregious violators.

I know this was long but I did not have the time to make it shorter.

Cheers,
Ian

sarahsweets 12-13-17 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Essa96 (Post 1978193)

I dont think I agree with this list aside from the fact that the wording seems 'off'.

Essa96 12-13-17 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahsweets (Post 1978472)
I dont think I agree with this list aside from the fact that the wording seems 'off'.

what is it you don't agree with exactly?

sarahsweets 12-13-17 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Essa96 (Post 1978513)
what is it you don't agree with exactly?

Quote:

Work is inaccurate
❑ Work appears rushed and poorly done even though the person
has the ability to complete it
❑ Able to complete tasks with some difficulties when they are
given 1:1 attention with constant prompting to pay attention
❑ Works slowly to avoid mistakes
❑ Does not read instructions carefully
❑ Too much time needed to complete detailed tasks
❑ Works too quickly and therefore makes mistakes

Quote:

Examples adulthood
❑ Not able to keep attention on tasks for long*
❑ Often moving from one task to another
❑ When start doing something, the person gets interested and excited by
another task, therefore very quickly moves away from the task to
another
❑ May be able to stay on tasks with difficulties if they are given 1:1
supervision and regular prompting
❑ Quickly distracted by own thoughts or associations
❑ Easily distracted by unrelated thoughts or what happens around the
person
❑ Difficulty remaining focused during lectures and/or conversations
❑ Finds it difficult to watch a film through to the end, or to read a book*
❑ Quickly becomes bored with things*

*Unless the subject is found to be really interesting (e.g. computer or hobby)
Quote:

Examples adulthood
❑ Often finds difficult to follow verbal instructions
❑ Instructions need to be broken down and repeated many times for
completion of a task
❑ Not answering the questions that have been asked
❑ Dreamy or preoccupied
❑ Difficulty concentrating on a conversation
❑ Afterwards, not knowing what the conversation was about
❑ Often changing the subject of the conversation
❑ Others saying that your thoughts are somewhere else
❑ Mind seems elsewhere, even in the absence of any obvious distraction

Quote:

❑ Does not finish tasks or leave important parts not done
without 1:1 support and frequent prompting
❑ Miss out or not complete tasks even though they have the
ability to do it and are keen to get it done
❑ Does things that are muddled up together without
completing them
❑ Starts tasks but quickly loses focus and is easily sidetracked
❑ Difficulty completing tasks once the novelty has worn off
❑ Difficulty completing administrative tasks
❑ Difficultly following instructions
Quote:

❑ Struggling to plan activities of daily life as the person always
seem to be in a rush
❑ Difficulty managing sequential tasks
❑ House and/or workplace are disorganised
❑ Difficulty keeping materials and belongings in order
❑ Works messy and disorganised
❑ Regularly booking things to take place at the same time
(double-booking)
❑ Running late most of the time
❑ Not able to use an agenda or diary consistently due to
chaotic nature
❑ Poor sense and management of time
❑ Creating schedules but not using them
❑ Needing other people to structure things even though the
person has necessary skills

Quote:

❑ Easily distracted by things that happens around the person
when other people with similar ID can ignore or are less
distracted
❑ Often needs to bring back to the topic or task
❑ Increasing challenging behaviour due to distractions in
busy environments/less behavioural difficulties in
environments less distracting
❑ Goes off tasks and activities very easily
❑ Difficulty shutting off from external stimuli
❑ After being distracted, difficult to pick up the thread again
❑ Easily distracted by noises or events
❑ Easily distracted by the conversations of others
❑ Difficulty in filtering and/or selecting information

Obviously I cant copy and paste everything I didnt agree with and its not like I totally disagree either.
Its not like I dont like the symptoms, its the wording the gets me. Saying things work is inaccurate , person in a rush, gets excited. phrases like over and over, repetitive statements. In the hyperactive section they actually mentioned getting cocky. How can a personality trait or flaw be a symptom of adhd? Is this the actual list from the official DSM? Cause if it is, the wording sounds weird in some ways.
"Stepping over boundaries" as if its an actual line in the sand. "needing a lot of words to say what you want to say". I am an English Major, I always need a lot of words. This is not a symptom of my adhd.

'Being a blabbermouth" Seriously?

Essa96 12-13-17 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahsweets (Post 1978528)
Obviously I cant copy and paste everything I didnt agree with and its not like I totally disagree either.
Its not like I dont like the symptoms, its the wording the gets me. Saying things work is inaccurate , person in a rush, gets excited. phrases like over and over, repetitive statements. In the hyperactive section they actually mentioned getting cocky. How can a personality trait or flaw be a symptom of adhd? Is this the actual list from the official DSM? Cause if it is, the wording sounds weird in some ways.
"Stepping over boundaries" as if its an actual line in the sand. "needing a lot of words to say what you want to say". I am an English Major, I always need a lot of words. This is not a symptom of my adhd.

'Being a blabbermouth" Seriously?

What are the real symptoms then?
What would they ask you in an evaluation if not these?

Thanks

Little Missy 12-13-17 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Essa96 (Post 1978556)
What are the real symptoms then?
What would they ask you in an evaluation if not these?

Thanks

I was never asked anything at all. :)

Lee-Yen 12-13-17 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahsweets (Post 1978528)
"needing a lot of words to say what you want to say". I am an English Major, I always need a lot of words. This is not a symptom of my adhd.

Interesting, I have a "need" to be as precise as possible when saying/writing what I want to convey, often catch myself using additional adjectives/adverbs (2-4 while only one would suffice, but wasn't precise enough for me), and my friends do notice and tell me when I become annoying with it.
So I would like to know is it an ADHD symptom/trait, something I learned because I often misunderstand verbal instructions and wanted to avoid doing it to others, or because I am simply entertained by versatility of languages (no major here, my Croatian teachers were mostly horrible at their job, and I slept through most of my English classes, self-taught in both).

Also, topic at hand (to keep it as short as possible, i'll include only adult symptoms): tl;dr I probably have ADHD-C, but leans more towards inattentive

- Avoiding tasks or jobs that require concentration
Oh yes, learned the hard way to avoid such tasks because it only leads to anguish and tears.

- Procrastination
Unwilling king of it, and would say that's the biggest (at least most obvious) issue that plagues my entire life.

- Difficulty initiating tasks
Not difficult, difficult would be easy, most of the time it's near-impossible, more often than not I end up almost paralyzed (just sitting/standing and doing nothing) when I try and force myself to do the task that really really needs to get done.

- Difficulty organizing details required for a task
Don't think so, I'm usually the one that yells at others to stop and sit for 5 minutes while I recognize and organize priorities, and often visualize the entire task, checking prerequisites and anticipate issues to get ahead of them in time. Following through on said plan, that's another issue, i know what and how things need get done, actually doing it depends almost entirely on whether the task is interesting.

- Difficulty recalling details required for a task
If someone is telling me the details, I'm already interrupting them, asking to wait while I find a way to write it down or it's gone and forgotten before they asked - "got it?", my working memory is near-useless, learned long ago not to trust it even for a second, though compensating for that proves a lot more difficult than one would imagine.

- Difficulty multitasking
Depends on tasks at hand, if it's something I can "autopilot" like driving a car, even if it is one of those tasks that require sustained focus, I can "fit" in other stuff that requires mental effort, not at full capacity of course, but not an issue. Sadly I don't get to choose which things can i "autopilot".

- Poor time management, losing track of time
Even after making sure I have a clock in my direct line-of-sight whenever possible, if no alarms/notifications went off, I'm late or completely forgotten about it. And I get the impression that somehow I have less time in a single day than my friends (e.g. taking a shower or cooking a simple meal takes me almost twice as long, and I'm pushing and going as fast as I can without breaking stuff or making a horrible mess).

- Indecision and doubt
Yes, sometimes (not often) to a point of quiet panic, but not if I'm well versed in a given situation or given task. Lost my last job because of it, was calling my boss and colleague for advice and information every day at least once, and it was a retail job selling mobile phones and accessories.

- Hesitation of execution
So many missed opportunities in every aspect of life, hating myself, telling to just go, just do it! And when opportunity presents itself .... nothing ... again. Just standing there and yelling at my brain > what is wrong with you, let me go, you and I both know we'r gonna regret it later so let's go ... now .... c'mon .... now .....

- Difficulty persevering or completing and following through on tasks
When I finally start on a task, it's inexplicably difficult to stay on the task and not zone-out, get distracted by any kind of noise or go on tangents (I should be editing wedding photos which are already late, not Photoshoping in more daisies and dandelions because quirky and interesting)

- Delayed stop and transition of concentration from one task to another
Tasks that require a lot of sustained focus, especially when I need to separate that task to a handful of smaller ones, organize and sometimes even multitask those, so when starting such a task, takes me 5-15min to gather my thoughts, "get in the zone" so to speak, and if someone wants to ask me something, seems like a full minute before I'm able to understand what they'r even saying, let alone what they want and what to do about it.

Woah, that's almost an entire 1080p screen just for Inattentive-type and I was editing myself and trying to keep it short ... oh well.

- Chooses highly active, stimulating jobs
Nope, I run away from those, I hate surprises and get exceedingly annoyed when someone disrupts my plans even after almost everyone telling me that's completely normal, usual every-day life and I shouldn't get upset by it. My favourite job so far was actually being a night guard, all alone with almost full control over scheduled tasks, spent most of the time watching TV shows while being able to notice when anything moved on cameras.

- Avoids situations with low physical activity or sedentary work
Again no, I'm perfectly fine spending the entire day in a chair (as long as it's comfortable of course, and I can't sit straight (as illustrated in health&safety manuals) for longer than 10min, always in some awkward, bent, twisted positions and often switching between those (for comfort)

- May choose to work long hours or two jobs
Needs more testing, but would say no, because with experience so far (except the night-guard job where the point was mostly just being awake and vigilant), the idea of doing even an 8h day everyday (actual sustained focus on demand for those 8h) still seems virtually impossible, every time I somehow managed to make myself work for 8h straight (and that's a real rarity), I burned out, next 3 days were useless, more so if someone pestered me to continue with the same work.

- Seeks constant activity
Physically, no, not constant, I would like to continue with weight training (if schedule, finances and meds permit), mostly because I find that particular training interesting and enjoyable, but also because i'm sedentary.

- Easily bored
Jury still out, while I'm able to binge entire TV shows for weeks on end (when situation permits), sometimes I get quickly and easily bored even with leisure and entertainment activities which I usually thoroughly enjoy.

- Impatient
Aside some specific situations, yes, more often than not I'm yelling (mostly in the inside when not appropriate) "get on with it!". If I leave the house, yelling it at least once is pretty much guaranteed.

- Intolerant and frustrated, easily irritated
Not as much as a kid (i don't think at least, hard to check), but as I got older and that gradually exacerbated, I proportionally learned to control myself not to yell, kick/punch/throw stuff most of the time, luckily for those handful situations when impulses got the better of me, I still managed to weaken the momentum when I punched someone. These days, frustration, irritation and (albeit quiet) intolerance are common as breathing.

- Impulsive, snap decisions and irresponsible behaviors
Not as often as other issues (not from my perspective anyway), but as often as situation presents itself, I have to remind myself: "hey! don't touch stuff!" (also learned the hard way), and as for irresponsible behaviours, most of the time everything seems normal, reasonable and rational to me, only to be yelled at immediately or later for doing something that's apparently immature, inapropriate and/or irresponsible.

- Loses temper easily, angers quickly
In the past, yes, but recently (lots of bad stuff managed to pile up in the last 2 years, and i'm currently living in a very not ADHD-friendly enviroment) especially so, it's becoming exhaustingly difficult to control.

- The tendency to hyperfocus on particularly stimulating or emotionally engaging tasks.
Big yes, and not just a tendency, it's utterly out of control, if there's no one to pull me out of, and even that proves difficult, more often than not I get lost doing something useless (at least pertaining to current needs and requirements) sometimes for hours on end.

Since I found out about ADHD and started looking into whether I could actually have it, using those new insights for analyzing past and present behaviour, analyzing what's actually going on in my brain that's obviously making me different from my peers, I realized that "not being able to focus" is hugely more complicated issue than that 5-word sentence. There's a customer in the store, I should help him out, but instead of hearing what he's saying, my brain decides to play some Eric Clapton and turn it to 11 because whatever the customer is saying can't be more important than Clapton since it's playing on repeat the entire day.

Ok, does this count as hyperfocus, because it took me little over 2h (which i didn't notice) to put this into words, and I can still see it's a mess and probably difficult to read, to (probably miss-)quote Matt Gray: "I am not very sentencly", so I apologize for that, can't afford another hour or more trying to make it more readable. And if you have been, thank you for reading.