ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Feel i'm not creative as others of my level of intelligence (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194404)

PI-ADHD 29 01-30-19 03:45 AM

Feel i'm not creative as others of my level of intelligence
 
It's generally assumed and said that add people are more creative than others.
But I'm not creative or inventive as others of my level of intelligence. I feel i can't use my potential.
I was very creative when ritalin was working at me.
Are most add people more or less creative than neurotypicals?
What about you?

stef 01-30-19 03:56 AM

Re: Feel i'm not creative as others of my level of intelligence
 
I don't think we are any more or less creative than neurotypicals. but with adhd, it's just so much harder to "harness" the creativity. for example if you have adhd and love to write, the concrete steps to actually trying to get something published would be daunting.

my son studied translation and I was amazed at how methodically he worked. I am all over the place.

finallyfound10 01-30-19 11:22 AM

Re: Feel i'm not creative as others of my level of intelligence
 
People with ADHD are no more or less creative than others. I think people are just deluding themselves to help them cope with a

We use workarounds. Workarounds are not creativity in the classical sense of what the general population means by creative. We have to do workarounds to survive- to keep a job, to raise children, to keep a relationship together. There is no ailment in the DSM that has any positives in and of itself. Yes, some may have traveled their circuitous life journey with a DSM diagnosis and done creative things but it wasn't because of it.

Andi 01-30-19 12:59 PM

Re: Feel i'm not creative as others of my level of intelligence
 
Most of the time I feel too literal to be "creative." With work I can be outside of the box but for an art project, I fail to see the vision or can't figure out what resources I need to make something unless someone else has stuff that I can use.

Time in itself has been limited for me as well. When I was younger I was very creative. Could paint, write, etc. for hours. After kids and a job...not so much. I'm not sure if it's a lack of energy or a lack of desire. But I will say when I see some of our members building sites, jewelry, writing poetry...I sit and wonder what have I lost and why.

Alphawave 01-30-19 04:05 PM

Re: Feel i'm not creative as others of my level of intelligence
 
I used to make music 20 years ago on no medication back then, and I used to love it.

I've tried it recently and I'm struggling with the creativity. Perhaps I just need to practise again but it doesn't feel natural.

I'm on 1.5 mg haloperidol, 150 mg imipramine and 60 mg strattera. It's hard to think which med might have caused it.

midnightstar 01-30-19 04:32 PM

Re: Feel i'm not creative as others of my level of intelligence
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andi (Post 2014034)
Most of the time I feel too literal to be "creative." With work I can be outside of the box but for an art project, I fail to see the vision or can't figure out what resources I need to make something unless someone else has stuff that I can use.

Time in itself has been limited for me as well. When I was younger I was very creative. Could paint, write, etc. for hours. After kids and a job...not so much. I'm not sure if it's a lack of energy or a lack of desire. But I will say when I see some of our members building sites, jewelry, writing poetry...I sit and wonder what have I lost and why.

For me, I have creative moments so can manage to write poetry but can never finish stories. That's one thing I'd love to be able to do, finish writing a story.

Next poem I write, if you wants it Andi you can have it for your very own :)

ToneTone 01-30-19 08:59 PM

Re: Feel i'm not creative as others of my level of intelligence
 
Part of creativity is going outside the box ... while focusing on an end product and ... going outside the box ... but not too far ... creativity involves juggling chaos and new thinking with old thinking ....

Plus there is a concrete element to a lot of creativity ... it's not just coming up with wild ideas ... Creativity can also be improving a certain item, procedure, machine ... process and so on ... but if you're having trouble grasping the original structure, it can be hard to then be creative ...

Also some ADHD folks have to spend so much energy just following day-to-day stuff that they don't have energy to improvise and throw out new ideas.

And no, I don't think ADHD are more creative ... I think "creative" is often a misplaced term ... Creativity for most people is highly structured ... songwriters write songs because they have a deadline ... engineers figure out how to make daily/disposable/multifocal contacts by experimenting ... and building on previous inventions ... Writers and filmmakers have deadlines ... and schedules to follow ... musicians meet in the studio on X date and Y week to come up with songs ...

daveddd 01-30-19 10:14 PM

Re: Feel i'm not creative as others of my level of intelligence
 
i think its safe to say there is enough literature in psychology to confidently say there is some correlation of adhd and some types of creativity . even the strictest to science like barkley have referenced it

its just that not everyone with ADHD may have it or learned to harness it


also people with adhd are smarter, better looking , better lovers, hung better, faster, more athletic, we have super power empathy , more compassionate , empaths, more understanding , better emotional control.... oh and far less narcissistic than the norms

daveddd 01-30-19 10:35 PM

Re: Feel i'm not creative as others of my level of intelligence
 
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...-more-creative

Greyhound1 01-30-19 10:35 PM

Re: Feel i'm not creative as others of my level of intelligence
 
I don’t think there’s a real correlation between intelligence and creativity.

Many super creative people aren’t geniuses and many geniuses aren’t so creative. I think of creativity as being more of a personality trait/skill.

PI-ADHD 29 01-31-19 01:23 AM

Re: Feel i'm not creative as others of my level of intelligence
 
For me creativity means to develop and put forward new and original ideas, thesis and projects. When i started to ritalin, I was thinking about ideas and innovations related to my job even when i was trying to sleep. I couldn't keep out myself to think, couldn't stop my brain :). I don't think this effect was euphoria or plasebo.
Also i use workarounds many times and i think it's because i can't follow instructions and i have to use workarounds especially at deadlines. Maybe we're seem to have creativity by others because of these workarounds. Workarounds are not our talent but obligation.

Andi 01-31-19 10:59 AM

Re: Feel i'm not creative as others of my level of intelligence
 
I never thought of creativity outside of the arts. I guess if you look at what I do on a daily basis, there is some creativity. Thanks, never thought of it that way. Perhaps that's how I channel it now.

acdc01 01-31-19 12:59 PM

Re: Feel i'm not creative as others of my level of intelligence
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PI-ADHD 29 (Post 2014111)
For me creativity means to develop and put forward new and original ideas, thesis and projects. When i started to ritalin, I was thinking about ideas and innovations related to my job even when i was trying to sleep. I couldn't keep out myself to think, couldn't stop my brain :). I don't think this effect was euphoria or plasebo.
Also i use workarounds many times and i think it's because i can't follow instructions and i have to use workarounds especially at deadlines. Maybe we're seem to have creativity by others because of these workarounds. Workarounds are not our talent but obligation.

That's interesting.

I think and think and think over subjects naturally as part of my adhd (without medication). That's when I come up with creative ideas.

Overthinking things is part of adhd (I think) and your meds are actually making you do what ADHD itself does. Hmm, maybe the meds allow you to focus more on what's important and that's the difference (instead of wandering to other subjects).

By creative, I mean coming up with ideas like yourself. I'm not artistically inclined though I did think even when it comes to art, we are on average considered more artistically creative too (in addition to coming up with ideas creative). The average just means that some of us are more skilled, not all of us. I think I myself would be more skilled in creative problem solving but not art.

PI-ADHD 29 02-01-19 02:13 AM

Re: Feel i'm not creative as others of my level of intelligence
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc01 (Post 2014168)
That's interesting.

I think and think and think over subjects naturally as part of my adhd (without medication). That's when I come up with creative ideas.

Overthinking things is part of adhd (I think) and your meds are actually making you do what ADHD itself does. Hmm, maybe the meds allow you to focus more on what's important and that's the difference (instead of wandering to other subjects).

By creative, I mean coming up with ideas like yourself. I'm not artistically inclined though I did think even when it comes to art, we are on average considered more artistically creative too (in addition to coming up with ideas creative). The average just means that some of us are more skilled, not all of us. I think I myself would be more skilled in creative problem solving but not art.

Without meds i overthink about unimportant daily events, past evens, or future plans(ruminating thoughts). So i can't focus important things. I bore too quickly without meds. Ritalin was helping me to focus what are important and what i want what i have to. Without meds i reread book pages so i lost too much time. I'm not sure if these are becuse of adhd or anxiety.

tudorose 02-01-19 02:43 AM

Re: Feel i'm not creative as others of my level of intelligence
 
I'm more creative however unlike most people with ADHD I'm of average intelligence (last thread i saw on here about intelligence showed I am definitely not as smart as most on here). But people think I'm smart coz I see what they don't see and can do things they can't. Problem is I struggle to do the things they can do like focus and follow procedures.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums