ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Motivation, Initiation, Follow-Through (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190742)

aeon 03-12-18 01:51 PM

Motivation, Initiation, Follow-Through

Regardless of the use of Dexedrine, or not, I know what I need to do, and what I want to do.

That said, with the use of Dexedrine, I actually begin working on what I need to do, and what I want to do.

Does Dexedrine motivate me? Iím not so sure it does. Motivation is something I have to provide for myself.

But Dexedrine helps immensely with initiation...just getting going, on anything...it is a night and day difference. When medicated, I can begin tasks, no matter how difficult, and I donít have the mental anguish of starting something I experience when unmedicated.

And once I do, I stay on it...persistence...itís a bit amazing to me, really, because without Dexedrine, I am near-hopeless in this regard.

Dexedrine has helped me to see and understand that one of my biggest and most severe disability aspects of my ADHD diagnosis is that of task initiation. I know what to do, how to do it, and why it needs to be done, but on my own, getting started is just a herculean effort, and not one that often succeeds.

Meds really have made all the difference in the world. :doh:

Cheers,
Ian

psychopathetic 03-12-18 03:12 PM

Re: Motivation, Initiation, Follow-Through

Absolutely this! Everything you just said...only worded WAY better then I could've :lol:

For me though, it was Adderall. Dex helped, but not quite like Adderall did for me.

I also want to say that though things DID get started and finished while medicated...it was still a struggle for me to direct that into what I "should" be doing lol. It didn't magically make me start focusing on all the things I'd been neglecting in life or anything. I still had to push myself into putting that focus into what I needed...or else I'd focus all day on my computer or something non-productive.

I agree with you on the motivation. I don't think Adderall "motivated" me, gave me drive, or provided me with any sort of energy.
It's like when I'm not on medicine I've got big heavy millitary style boots on and I'm walking through super deep, thick mud. Every single step is slow, takes a ton of effort and takes focus. It's super exhausting.
Also while unmedicated...there's a large amount of space between the thought of needing to start something...and actually starting it. "I need to get out of bed and go brush my teeth". Well that's simple right? Just jump out of bed and get it done! Well...no. There's this big space inbetween full of procrastinating, and drifting off into lala land (daydreaming) and not wanting to do it. And that space, those things holding me back...that's all the mud I'm talking about.
Meds lift a ton of that mud. A lot of that struggle just stops being there. It doesn't take me an hour of fighting to get myself out of bed. 20 minutes to get my shoes on and tied, a week to start of a piece of homework...
Things just get done! There's less travel between thinking of doing and doing.
So it's not that the meds give me motivation or provide me with energy...it's just that they make life easier. There's less weight and friction to "doing" things. No idea if that makes sense.

I love meds. I miss them. I hope to be back on them before too long.

(((Aeon)))

p.s.
I really like a quote Lunacie uses as part of her signature here...I think of it often cause it's so spot on:

Quote:

ADD is not a problem of knowing what to do; it is a problem of doing what you know.
-RUSSELL A. BARKLEY, PH.D.

ToneTone 03-12-18 04:49 PM

So great to hear how well Dexedrine works for you.

Might have to talk to my provider about trying Dex.

stef 03-12-18 05:38 PM

One of the strangest things about Ritalin, is that sometimes I actually don't initiate tasks because I choose not to do so; rather than procrastination which was so often the result of sheer paralysis and confusion.

I'm not particularly proud of this, but it's a big improvement in my overall state of mind :)

loulouinoz 03-15-18 09:33 PM

Can I ask how you came to acknowledge your ADD, Did anything your parents or friends do or say that helped, or not! in your process? I am asking as my adult son I feel does need some help, unfortunately, I have been unable to convince him. I don't want to make things worse for him Is it best I say nothing at all.

acdc01 03-15-18 10:53 PM

I always thought meds didn't increase motivation but decreased the amount of motivation we need to get started on a task.

Don't really know how it feels though cause meds have never affected my procrastination problem.

jdang307 03-27-18 04:08 PM

I may have to give this a try. Adderall worked for a couple weeks and now I don't feel motivated.

It is generic though, so perhaps I need to try Vyvanse and/or Adderall XR and then Dex.

Fluppets 03-28-18 06:35 AM

Theoretically the dexedrine should increase the available Dopamine, which means any given task you set your mind to will have a higher "potential reward".

So that gives a very basic form of motivation (immediate reward); but not the kind of motivation you need for bigger projects and goals (delayed reward).

aeon 03-28-18 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loulouinoz (Post 1988689)
Can I ask how you came to acknowledge your ADD, Did anything your parents or friends do or say that helped, or not! in your process? I am asking as my adult son I feel does need some help, unfortunately, I have been unable to convince him. I don't want to make things worse for him Is it best I say nothing at all.

My doctor asked me if I had ever considered that I had ADHD.

I was 41 at the time (48 now).

In retrospect, how could so many people have missed it? :doh:

I guess I put on a pretty good dog and pony show. :lol:

Cheers,
Ian

PoppnNSailinMan 04-10-18 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc01 (Post 1988694)
I always thought meds didn't increase motivation but decreased the amount of motivation we need to get started on a task.

Don't really know how it feels though cause meds have never affected my procrastination problem.

I've been thinking about the issue of motivation lately. My doctor increased the dose of my Vyvanse two weeks ago, and ever since then I've been getting a lot more things done than before and I feel so much more momentum in my life. I've been getting some things done that I had procrastinated for months about doing. And my mood has also been much more positive with less time spent brooding over something that's worrying me.

Usually when I think of something that I should do but which I'm not super enthusiastic about doing, I'll think to myself even though there's no reason that I couldn't do it right away that I'll do it in a minute, or later in the evening or tomorrow or next week. And it goes without saying, of course, that I almost never do end up doing it. But over the last two weeks since my dose was raised, I've found myself deciding to do things right away and not put them off. So, I'm not sure if that means that my medication is increasing my motivation or what exactly is going on.

finallyfound10 04-10-18 05:54 PM

I wonder if Dex would work that way for me. I think Strattera does that for me but I'm not sure how well it does that. I should not take it for a day and see what happens.

Fluppets 04-11-18 06:50 AM

For me, I think there's nothing wrong with my basic motivational system (ie: Dopamine), I think my system has just learnt that it's not worth doing things because I've never been able to follow through and build on things.

So on dexedrine (or any dopamine increaser) you might feel more motivated to do day-to-day tasks, but does it also help in tackling "bigger" tasks?

aeon 04-11-18 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fluppets (Post 1991303)
For me, I think there's nothing wrong with my basic motivational system (ie: Dopamine), I think my system has just learnt that it's not worth doing things because I've never been able to follow through and build on things.

So on dexedrine (or any dopamine increaser) you might feel more motivated to do day-to-day tasks, but does it also help in tackling "bigger" tasks?

For me, that is a big, big, yes.

Cheers,
Ian