ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Which symptoms do you have? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189445)

Essa96 12-04-17 10:44 PM

Which symptoms do you have?

Those who are diagnosed with ADHD...which [DSM5] symptoms do you have, and which ones do you not?

Could you explain how some of those symptoms affect you, with some scenarios?

I personally have all, except forgetful/losing things for inattentive 7/9. And fidgety/restless for hyperactivity 2/9.
21 and male.

Just trying to gain as much insight on ADHD as I can before my assessment, so sorry for all the questions/posts.

Fraser_0762 12-05-17 07:27 AM

Re: Which symptoms do you have?

I'm not diagnosed, but here I go.

1) I lose/Can't see what's right in front of me.
2) I hyperfocus on things that i'm drawn to in the moment and avoid what I need to do.
3) I overthink everything
4) I'm an anxious wreck in social situations
5) My house is a mess, it takes me forever to finally do something.
6) I have piles of "stuff" all over the place.
7) I struggle to process information when i'm reading
8) Have dropped out of college 4 times (more of a cause than a symptom)
9) Always leaving things till the last minute. So i'm rushing like a maniac to make appointments and deadlines.
10) I'm highly irritated and distracted by external noises (especially repetitive ones)

There's probably dozens of other things, but self assessment isn't my strongest point.

Emre22 12-05-17 01:29 PM

I am diagnosed

I am very impulsive.

It is too hard for me to do not interrupt others while having discussion even when i am on medication.
I am not able to control mood swings , i can be very happy and very sad after one hour for simple reasons.
I always do my appointment really late, for example if i have one week, i do my work last day.
I get bored of something really quick , it includes relationships , if other person isnt my dream woman, i get bored of that person maximum in 2 weeks so many failed relationships i had. It is like a spoiled child who breaks his/her toys after few days of playing.
I like taking risks even if it isnt needed.
I often act without thinking and considering results of my act.
If i have to wait for something, i always walk in a circle or pace especially when i am waiting at hospital for my appointment.
I cant study for 2-3 hours without medication. I can study only 30-40minutes without medication then i start having unending breaks :)

Arthos 12-05-17 03:10 PM

I am not diagnosed yet. 23 male

Out of 9 inattentive symptoms I have 8. The only one that I do not have is "often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly". That does happen occasionally, but I am mostly very skilled at pretending to listen.

The hyperactivity/impulsivity criteria I find harder to tell. Would be interesting to see whether I would get diagnosed with PI or combined. I feel very much combined as I am very restless and pretty hyperactive most of the time. However, especially with impulsivity criteria I find it hard to judge whether I have it significantly more than others of my age.

I definitely have:
Quote:

- often fidgets with or taps hands or squirms in seat.
- is often "on the go" acting as if "driven by a motor" (e.g., is unable to be or uncomfortable being still for extended time, as in restaurants, meetings; may be experienced by others as being restless or difficult to keep up with).
I definitely do not have:
Quote:

- often leaves seat in situations when remaining seated is expected (e.g., leaves his orher place in the classroom, in the office or other workplace, or in other situations that require remaining in place).
I am not sure about:
Quote:

- often runs about or climbs in situations where it is inappropriate (e.g., in adolescents or adults, may be limited to feeling restless).
- often unable to play or engage in leisure activities quietly.
- often talks excessively.
- often blurts out answers before questions have been completed (e.g., completes people's sentences; cannot wait for turn in conversation).
- often has difficulty awaiting turn (e.g., while waiting in line).
- often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g. butts into conversations,games, or activities. may start using other people's things without asking or receiving permission; for adolescents and adults, may intrude into or take over what others are doing).

BuckisMunz 12-05-17 07:40 PM

I took some online test, and got super bored with it. Seriously, answering YES on everything is lame, they need to throw in a maybe, or something else. Common normal people that make these tests learn how to keep our attention!

BuckisMunz 12-05-17 07:41 PM

I also need to learn how not to skip words while I'm writing. Nice!

NightKnight 12-05-17 10:43 PM

When I was first learning about ADHD, I read the symptom checklist and about 85% were spot on, with another 8-10% in the sometimes category.

One thing that I have happen a lot that I wanted to ask you folks about:

I frequently find myself getting lost when going to places I've been to dozens of times beforehand. A perfect example is the local grocery store. A few months ago, my wife and I are out running errands, and I start heading towards the grocery store. I know it's on Main St, so I turn right onto Main Street. The only thing is, the store was left on Main St. I do this all the time where I forget how to get to places, and I'm wondering if this is something that others deal with as well.

Arthos 12-06-17 06:28 AM

Bear in mind that for a diagnosis, you need to have the symptoms to a significantly higher degree than other people of your age.

'Sometimes' having something does not have any bearing on you having ADHD if many other people your age also 'sometimes' have that symptom.

sarahsweets 12-11-17 05:58 AM

Too bad there isnt a symptoms list pdf where we can check off what we do have and post it,

Essa96 12-11-17 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahsweets (Post 1978092)
Too bad there isnt a symptoms list pdf where we can check off what we do have and post it,

http://www.divacenter.eu/Content/Ver...glish_Form.pdf

Wrong! :D

kimical 12-12-17 08:57 AM

I am diagnosed.

My big things are I cannot finish things I start, I can't stay focused on one thing, things I used to do aren't fun anymore. In conversations, I tend to tune out if the person I'm talking to takes too long to say something. I lose things a lot, my room stays messy. I'm terrible with money, I forget things. THere have been days where I forgot to take my meds. Stuff like that.

Ronelh 12-12-17 09:28 AM

I am not diagnosed but I believe I have inattentive type. But I can't remember all the symptoms offhand so I'm copying it here from another post:
Quote:

Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder...
a. Often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, at work, or during other activities (e.g., overlooks or misses details, work is inaccurate).
b. Often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities (e.g., has difficulty remaining focused during lectures, conversations, or lengthy reading).
c. Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly (e.g., mind seems elsewhere, even in the absence of any obvious distraction).
d. Often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (e.g., starts tasks but quickly loses focus and is easily sidetracked).
e. Often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities (e.g., difficulty managing sequential tasks; difficulty keeping materials and belongings in order; messy, disorganized work; has poor time management; fails to meet deadlines).
f. Often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (e.g., schoolwork or homework; for older adolescents and adults, preparing reports, completing forms, reviewing lengthy papers).
g. Often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g., school materials, pencils, books, tools, wallets, keys, paperwork, eyeglasses, mobile telephones).
h. Is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli (for older adolescents and adults, may include unrelated thoughts).
i. Is often forgetful in daily activities (e.g., doing chores, running errands; for older adolescents and adults, returning calls, paying bills, keeping appointments).
About the only ones I possibly DON'T have are (d.) and (f.). I have an academic vocation that is important to me, that requires sustained mental effort and following through on instructions, and I usually manage pretty well. I just find ways to compensate to make myself do them. The other items on the list do describe me most of the time, or at least it is a daily struggle to not let those problems be a major issue.

Essa96 12-12-17 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronelh (Post 1978254)
I am not diagnosed but I believe I have inattentive type. But I can't remember all the symptoms offhand so I'm copying it here from another post:

About the only ones I possibly DON'T have are (d.) and (f.). I have an academic vocation that is important to me, that requires sustained mental effort and following through on instructions, and I usually manage pretty well. I just find ways to compensate to make myself do them. The other items on the list do describe me most of the time, or at least it is a daily struggle to not let those problems be a major issue.

I'm not diagnosed yet either, but the only symptoms that aren't to a serious degree are symptoms I and G. Otherwise, the rest are pretty bad.

Ronelh 12-12-17 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Essa96 (Post 1978285)
I'm not diagnosed yet either, but the only symptoms that aren't to a serious degree are symptoms I and G. Otherwise, the rest are pretty bad.

Good for you, those are my two biggest symptoms!

Ronelh 12-12-17 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronelh (Post 1978254)

On second thought, I reckon I have all nine of them, including D and F. I can happily sustain mental effort for interesting things (whether or not they are interesting to other people) but I struggle with some things I find boring, like filling out paperwork. I work hard at following through on instructions for work (except when I forget them!), because that is important for a lot of things in my life, but left to myself with no external motivation, I do often leave my projects unfinished. So, 9 out of 9! Do I have ADHD-PI or do I have it? ;)