ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Adult Diagnosis & Treatment (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=293)
-   -   ADD medication alternatives with existing depression (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105525)

thegreenjudy 07-06-11 10:45 AM

ADD medication alternatives with existing depression

I am quite new to this and I was wondering if there is any medication that DOESN'T have increased risk of depression as a side-effect. I took Ritalin for 3 month and ended up being suicidal. But I was already diagnosed with depression so it's not surprising that it increased my depression.

All the products I found are stimulants that are very likely to worsen my depression and restlessness (ironic, really...) - I probably have add without the h but I feel very restless and anxious inside and can't relax at all.

What type of medication is out there that doesn't cause these side-effects and actually WORKS?

thegreenjudy 07-07-11 04:23 AM

Re: ADD medication alternatives with existing depression

Oh my goodness I just made and amazing discovery!!

I am not a big coffee drinker - BUt every now and then I have one cup. I never really noticed it until yesterday! Coffee calms me down great time and helps me to focus and get on with stuff! So I googled it and found more threads from people who discovered the same. And when I just googled "why does coffee calm me down?" (without adding ADHD) I mostly found sites or comments from people who have ADHD.

I think this should deserve proper research!!

I guess everybody is different but I find that an amazingly large amount of people with ADD/ADHD say the same. Maybe I should just become a coffee-junkie...just scared that the effect will wear off after a while...wondering if caffeine tablets have the same effect??

gerwin 07-07-11 06:41 AM

Don't go there.....
Coffee is fun, not for medicating yourself.
I am taking antidepressants and ritalin, i feel i'm letting go of the depression and dealing with my ADHD is becoming a nice, fun way of life actually.

I know for me, it helps to blurt out your emotions to a trustee and medication together.

maybe a Pdoc can help you out a bit better.

thegreenjudy 07-07-11 08:39 AM

mmhhh..I somehow think that one coffee a day is probably healthier than Ritalin..But I can see where you are coming from..

gerwin 07-07-11 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreenjudy (Post 1128503)
mmhhh..I somehow think that one coffee a day is probably healthier than Ritalin..But I can see where you are coming from..

one coffee a day is no problem :D