ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tips for starting a morning routine? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194247)

pooka 01-03-19 05:07 PM

Tips for starting a morning routine?

I have never been a morning person, but I feel like I would really benefit from some more structure/routine in my mornings. I am constantly rushed and groggy in the morning, and usually barely on time to work. It feels like no matter what time I actually wake up, I end up being rushed anyways because when I wake up early I tell myself that I can take it easy and relax in bed for a bit before I start my day...and then by the time I actually get up, I'm inevitably running late.

I would love to be able to wake up when my alarm goes off, eat a real breakfast, have some tea, maybe do some yoga or go for a walk, and not worry about racing to work in the morning. Right now I am always stressed in the morning, and it takes me about an hour into my work day to feel like I am really "awake."

Any advice on easing into becoming a morning person?

Drogheda98 01-03-19 05:53 PM

Re: Tips for starting a morning routine?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooka (Post 2012727)
I have never been a morning person, but I feel like I would really benefit from some more structure/routine in my mornings. I am constantly rushed and groggy in the morning, and usually barely on time to work. It feels like no matter what time I actually wake up, I end up being rushed anyways because when I wake up early I tell myself that I can take it easy and relax in bed for a bit before I start my day...and then by the time I actually get up, I'm inevitably running late.

I would love to be able to wake up when my alarm goes off, eat a real breakfast, have some tea, maybe do some yoga or go for a walk, and not worry about racing to work in the morning. Right now I am always stressed in the morning, and it takes me about an hour into my work day to feel like I am really "awake."

I'm getting back into the morning routine as well.

my advice, it usually takes my medication about 20 minutes to kick in when I wake up, so I usually listen to music for about the first 20 minutes, a relaxing start to the day to be sure.

then it's two feet on the ground, get the ball rolling. like tell yourself that "time to get the ball rolling" or whatever floats your own metaphorical boat.

life is what we make it, and typically, for myself, starting out the day with a saying that resonates with what we think life is helps. if life is a stage "lets get this show on the road" if life is a game "time to get in the game" thing is, we gota say it ouloud and the saying for starting the day has to resonates with who we all think we are at any particular time.

for yourself, I would recomend not stressing it too much, just like every routine, it takes time to find our own groove with it. perhaps start off doing one thing for the first 10 minutes after you yourself feel grounded to start the morning routine, I know I am:)

sarahsweets 01-04-19 05:21 AM

The first thing is to make sure you have a good sleep routine. I wont go into it in this thread but it involves going to bed and waking up the same time every day. It took me years to build a routine and honestly not until I got sober was it really a routine. I am convinced that you have to have something on your feet. It will keep you out of bed. I always get dressed "to the shoes" because it keeps me from laying around however when I get up first thing I put on my rob and slippers and go down to start the coffee. I set the coffee up the night before so I only have to pour the water. I used to program it before that coffee maker broke. You do not have kids right? Well my routine has been planned around them. I get up about an hour and a half before the first person who needs me is up. Right now that is my husband, I always help get him going. When all three kids were home, I went by there schedule staggering them a half hour apart now, its more like this:
4am- wake up, start coffee, drink coffee and check in with forums/read/meditate.
5am husband is up, help him talk to him without the kids around
530 am daughter is up, breakfast, lunch packed
6am go up and get dressed
615 say good bye to the husband
7a take daughter to school
(grocery shopping follows whether its a big load or just something for dinner, but I have the store to myself.
8am home.
8-10 am free time to do internet /reading
10am begin things I need to do.
The rest of the day depends on what appointments there are because my son had a stroke and my life has basically revolved around what he needs now.
I will reiterate that none of that was possible without a strict sleep and wake up schedule.

Daniel1970 01-04-19 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooka (Post 2012727)

Some things that really help me:

1. Take melatonin 2 hours before a proper bedtime so that I conk out at 10:30 pm, not 2:30 am!
2. I don't know how this would work with tea, but I have an automatic coffeemaker that I set up the night before to start brewing 15 minutes before my planned wake-up time. That way I can stumble into the kitchen and have something delicious that also starts to wake me up.
3. I have a morning schedule pinned to my refridgerator. It says stuff pretty exactly, like "1. Drink your coffee. 2. Take your medication. 3. Walk the dog. 4. As soon as you're done walking the dog, jump in the shower and get dressed. 5. Make lunches..." etc. etc. That way, even though I'm half asleep, I can stumble through my morning in a reasonably organized manner until I actually do start to wake up.
4. I take my Vyvanse right after I sip some coffee, and that def helps kick start me too.
5. Do as much as you can the night before. I don't know what that might be for you, like laying out clothes? Making sure your laptop is already bagged up to take to work? For me, it's usually getting lunches made so that I don't have to do that in the morning. Although, to be honest I usually don't succeed in doing that the night before. But when I do, it's so much easier than trying to do it half-awake.

Hope that all helps. :)

D.

Daniel1970 01-04-19 06:37 PM

One more thing, on reading your original post more closely. DON'T TELL YOURSELF YOU CAN STAY IN BED A LITTLE LONGER. You've got to get up, you just have to, right when the alarm rings. I sometimes set up two alarms, one a little further away so I have to stand up to turn it off. If you take a stimulant like Vyvanse, you can put it at your bedside with some water to take the minute your alarm goes off, because it will tend to kickstart you.

The coffee timer trick that I mentioned in my previous post on this thread is what does the trick for me. If I know that all I have to do is stumble into the kitchen and some hot coffee will be waiting for me to sip, and I really don't have to think much beyond that at that point, that usually is enough to motivate me to actually get out from under the covers. If, on the other hand, I know I have to brew it from scratch because I was too lazy to do it the night before, even something that simple can be overwhelming enough to really slow my tired b--- down to a crawl.

:)

Daniel