ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Is Birth order related to Attention Deficit Disorder ? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7813)

Jeffrey 06-07-04 11:09 AM

Is Birthorder related to ADD?

Just curious about this and wondering whether there's any connection at all.

Nucking_Futs 06-07-04 12:18 PM

I didn't vote because you didn't have a spot for me...I'm the second child of four well unless you count my half siblings then I'm still the second of nine then if you add the steps I'm the third of 11, should I also add in foster siblings? I'm just teasing...not the number of siblings but just messin with your brain.

I honestly don't think it matters what your birth order. Out of 11 siblings 8 of us have one disorder or another going from ADD to bi polar to manic depression.

In my children my first (son) is ADHD/deep depression
second (daughter) is ADHD
third (son) is 6 months hopefully he isn't "normal" I won't know how to raise him. lol

I'm not in any way making fun of you...I'm just in a good mood and found your post interesting. I will keep an eye on it, you may be on to something.

Hugs

Nucking_Futs 06-07-04 12:20 PM

I lied I voted for middle child.

jaimegerise 06-07-04 01:04 PM

Hm, don't think it has anything to do with ADD, but I've noticed that birthorder can greatly have an effect on your place in the family.

I'm the baby of the family no matter how you slice it. My mom miscarried her first child which would have been a girl. Then she had my oldest brother, Jeffrey. Then she had my next brother, Jarrett. Then she miscarried another girl. THEN she had me, then a hysterectomy.

I was the baby, PLUS the only surviving girl, so I guess in some ways I was spoiled; but at the same time, they tried to hinder me from some things that they let my brother's do. Kinda made me bonkers at times.

Anyway...Considering that I know both of my brothers have some degree of OCD, and probably an ounce of undiagnosed ADD, I don't think it has anything to with our birthorder.

Just my 2 cents.

waywardclam 06-07-04 04:00 PM

Okay, I have a younger brother, younger sister, older half brother, older step sister, younger step sister, younger step brother, two more older step sisters that I have never met, and a younger adopted sister.

YOU put my answer in for me, ok? :D :D :D

Jeffrey 06-08-04 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by waywardclam
Okay, I have a younger brother, younger sister, older half brother, older step sister, younger step sister, younger step brother, two more older step sisters that I have never met, and a younger adopted sister.

YOU put my answer in for me, ok? :D :D :D

Well, you'd probably choose what you were raised as, for the most part, up to the age of about 8-10.

I realize that this poll is not very scientific, but I was curious.

Jeffrey

jaimegerise 06-08-04 02:31 PM

Paul, I thought you were just the pet clam! :D

FlakeyGirl 06-08-04 03:30 PM

Clam, did you have a dog named Tiger and a housekeeper named Alice? Did the girls have hair of gold, like their mother, and was the youngest one in curls?:rolleyes:

Brianne 06-09-04 01:20 AM

I am an only child but my mom misscarried 3 times. I should have been the 3rd child. I don't think birth order matters as far as ADD goes. I voted as only child even though I could have been the 3rd of 4.

Jeffrey 06-09-04 11:54 AM

Miscarriages have nothing to do with birthorder. Your birthorder is determined by your position in the family order while growing up. It's definitely not an exact science.

You'd be an only child.

FightingBoredom 06-11-04 10:08 PM

Birth order has nothing to do with ADD.

I came from a family of 10 kids.

I'm number 6 in the mix. My older brother who is number 3 in order has worse ADD than I do.
I think my oldest sister had it: #2 in the mix. (She's dead now, but let me ask her :D).

I'm positive my youngest sister, #9, has ADD.

#3, #6, and #9 have it: So maybe it's just an "ODD" child thing. Full pun intended.

Of my 3 kids the middle child has ADHD. Which blows the "ODD" theory since he is neither odd nor odd numbered in order.

Of my brothers 5 kids 4 of them have ADHD.

the 2 older of my sisters 3 kids have ADHD.

fasttalkingmom 06-12-04 08:56 AM

I'm the oldest.... ( sorry can't vote it doesn't work for me)

Jeffrey 06-14-04 11:37 AM

Interesting results so far. 50% first borns. If the number of people who voted was higher, that would statistically significant.

joanrdtobe 06-14-04 11:57 AM

I am a definite middle child....I have an older sister and younger brother....three of us....neither of them has ADD....

vinceptor 06-14-04 02:40 PM

I'd have to see how a random sample of everybody (not just ADDers) would respond before deciding. I would guess 1st children (this also includes only children) are found in most families with children ......;)

Ken

BTW, my sole sibling (younger sister), also has AD/HD.