ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Adult Diagnosis & Treatment (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=293)
-   -   Late diagnosis - What were you like as a child? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123252)

kitty123 04-30-12 02:57 AM

Late diagnosis - What were you like as a child?

For those of you who were diagnosed with Inattentive ADD as an adult... can you please describe what you were like as a child?

What were you like in elementary school? Did you always have symptoms of Inattentive ADD even when you were a kid? Or did you seem normal and didn't have symptoms until later on..

silivrentoliel 04-30-12 01:15 PM

Re: Late diagnosis - What were you like as a child?

Always showed symptoms- looking back, I don't see anything in my behavior that is out of the ordinary... but I was put on medication at the age of 6 til I was 12. I do remember poor school performance as in not doing homework and not paying attention in class- I doodled a lot. I lived in a home though that kept my mental stimulation levels high- there was a lot of fighting so I was always running on dopamine... that was probably why I don't recognize problems then like I do now.

ana futura 04-30-12 01:27 PM

I was diagnosed as ADHD-PI as an adult, but I think I'm really combined type. The big things I remember as a child were not so much direct symptoms of ADHD, but all the things that go along with it- staying up till 2, never doing my homework, extreme messiness, showing up late to everything, talking too much, and a low tolerance for frustration.

I doodled constantly and didn't pay attention to people who rambled on, but I always thought that was their fault for talking too much. I didn't really have any school issues other than postponing my homework till the last minute and never being prepared. I always had to ask to borrow paper and pens.

I was always quirky, I wouldn't be "normal" even without ADHD. Knowing what people knew about ADHD back then, it's not surprising that I wasn't diagnosed. There was nothing about my behavior as a child that couldn't have been attributed to laziness, defiance or just being "weird".

Drewbacca 04-30-12 07:39 PM

As a kid: I was weird, did a lot of stupid things without thinking them through, hated waiting, hated being interrupted, was extremely focused on the things that I enjoyed, never sat down much (but was otherwise not "hyperactive"), I got a lot of work done when alone and next to nothing when there were other people around.

Will1963 04-30-12 08:27 PM

Hi Kitty123 from a fellow newbie.

I was diagnosed at 48. I was just the same as a child as I am now. It would've been obvious anytime to anyone who knew about inattentive ADD and especially SCT. But when I was a child the term "ADD" hadn't even been invented. I wish, I really wish I had known this 30-40 years ago! It would've made a big difference. I hope now the younger generation don't have to wait as long as I did (we did?) to find out the truth.

subtract 1 05-01-12 03:00 AM

Hmmm. maybe i differ here.

I did not really talk to anyone till I was around 8 or 9. was always in special classes. Absolutely hated school. Didnt even understand that they were trying to teach me something or that I was being graded on my work. I literally did not talk to anyone in school untill grade 3. From there for the balance of elementary I had 1 friend.

I dont remember much from those days besides wishing the bus would have an accident on the way to school. The worst part of the day was recess when we would have to go out and be with others. I usually had my corner far away. I thought I was special and soon people may understand me! but Wow was I wrong lol.

I have just recently been told i may have add-i so I may be a bad example. let me know if any one else was like this as I am seeing some differences in what others report on this topic alone thus far.

kitty123 05-03-12 12:26 AM

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. =) I was planning on not responding until I was able to obtain my old report cards from elementary school, but I won't be able to get them anytime soon since I'm in college away from home.

The reason why I'm asking these questions is to see if anyone was the same as me when they were younger. I suspect that I may have Inattentive ADD, but I remember myself being on top of the class throughout elementary school and considered as "gifted." I don't remember much about my behavior though.. which is why I'm seeking out my old report cards to see if any of my teachers made any comments about it.

jengen 05-03-12 12:55 AM

Last year at 33, I was told I had ADD. At first, I self diagnosed myself. Then with my therapist and doctors....it was official I had Inattentive Adult ADD with mild OCD that it brought out with stress. But first, I got hearing tests because I had a hard time understand or keeping with the conversation.

When they doctors figured out I had mild OCD, I was prescribed Wellbutrin 300 mg XL. It was amazing. Then I did not have Health Insurance and I had to go to the non-xl and finally I went off them completely. This cause all of my behaviors to come back. People very close to me could also tell I had ADD too.

As a child, I had speech issues, difficult with reading and spelling. It was hard for my short term memory to know the sounds. I loved to read on my own but not out-loud. One summer, I read all of the Sweet Valley High books. My room was either messy or extremely organized. Once I had to make sure each plastic hanger matched the color of clothing it was on.

I would spend hours focusing on one thing in the library. School was easy but my papers were always written last minute. In the 4th grade, my mom and I stayed up until 4 am building a CA mission out of sugar cubes. My mom had us in a lot of activities.....so the physical part was not visible and I know that I knew what was right behavior and our life was a picture perfect image until my parents divorce.

In HS I always lost my keys. I always had to be busy. I was involved in a lot of volunteer opportunities. At parties, I would be the one cleaning up the mess or rearrange the pantry. It was hard to complete any task without being thrown off. Example: in Chemistry I had to write a lab report. I went to the SF Library (pre-computers). I spent hours research things that were not on my topic.

I would being trying to do 5 things at once. Always cutting people off in conversations. I would get disappoint when something would not be how I imagine it.

I feel like whenever I was on task in a subject I would do something that would pull me back. I graduated HS with a 3.73 but it could of been higher and I did not apply myself.

I always was forget something. Paper, pen, losing my keys,.....the list could go on. My car was/is a mess. I will do my laundry. fold it then not put it away. My hand-writing is horrible plus I press down very hard. I will rewrite the same list or not 10x.

Recently, I was talking to a college professor and she said she knew I had add in college.

My mom says we are all made up differently and this is me! Part of me wants to be off all of my meds but I am worried. I have been in therapy for years but recently started going 2-3 a week for the last year.

I have found out that keeping a list and writing notes help me the BEST. I am on 30 mg of Adderrall XR, 10 mg on a as needs, 300 mg Wellbutrin XL, ***new triazolam 0.25 with 10 mg ambien, Donnatal tab, 5 mg Diazepam (as needed) and 20 mg Prilosec. Plus I get weekly allergy shots-6 for 10 more weeks until every other week then once a month.

jengen 05-03-12 12:56 AM

thank you for posting this question!

T-Rex65 05-03-12 12:25 PM

I was constantly scolded for "reading ahead" while the teacher was in front of the class, going word by word through the text book with the rest of the class. I frequently got in trouble for correcting my teachers when they got their facts wrong. I hated any kind of organized recess activities, was "afraid of the ball", and was always picked last. I usually aced my tests, turned in papers late but got very good grades on them, but was perpetually in trouble for not turning in homework. Most homework felt like torture to me. I was very shy, or possibly just introverted, and I had trouble making friends with most of the kids. I always seemed to say the wrong thing at the wrong time.

After reading through all of this, I can see why I wasn't very popular. :-)

T-Rex65 05-03-12 12:33 PM

Oh yes, I forgot this part. I was placed in the gifted program after making a very high score on their intelligence test. However, I was never able to follow through and complete any of the self chosen projects we were supposed to work on. So being considered gifted was pretty much a waste for me, learning wise.

BTW, I was born in 1965. ADHD wasn't on anyone's radar when I started school. Later on, when the condition was known, the "hyperactive" component was emphasized. So I doubt I would have been diagnosed even then. I was just a very smart, very lazy kid as far as my teachers were concerned.

T-Rex65 05-03-12 01:04 PM

After reading through the other responses, I remembered a few more things. I used to read constantly. I would always choose reading over playing with other children. It makes me kind of sad now, because I have trouble concentrating long enough to actually finish a book.

I had trouble getting up in the morning (like I do now), tended to stay up late all the time (ditto), and would always nap as soon as I got home from school. I would sometimes nap during class as well, which most of the teachers seemed to take as a personal insult. I wasn't doing it on purpose. I just couldn't keep my eyes open.

My mother had my hearing tested because I would sometimes fail to respond to her questions. The doctor told her that I was just lost in whatever book I was reading at the time. Not ignoring her on purpose, but just oblivious to her.

I seem to have trouble processing spoken language now, and probably had the same issue as a child. I go through phases where I have to keep asking "what did you say?" even when I'm looking at the person. It's because I don't understand the first half of their sentences, I only "get" the last bit. Which is frustating for me and the other speaker, because they almost always repeat the last part of whatever they were saying, not the whole thing. So then I have to ask again, and specify that I need the first part. Sorry, didn't mean to ramble off topic there. But I suspect I had that problem as a child, and it probably contributed to the perception that I was daydreamy, hard of hearing, or just trying to be a pain.

However, despite my problems following the spoken word, I loved playing with the written word. My teachers would frequently read my essays aloud as examples of good writing. (Well, when I finally finished them and turned them in!) And I recall making up my own language in fifth or sixth grade for some project we had to do. Not saying it was a "good" attempt, or a sign of genius or anything like that. But it seemed to be a novel choice for a project, considering the reaction of the teacher.

JollyBadger 05-04-12 02:11 PM

Diagnosed in my early thirties.

When I began to suspect ADHD-I as the reason behind many of the things I was struggling with, I started searching memories and old school report cards, teacher comments, etc. The results read like a textbook case of inattentive ADD.

One teacher reported that I daydreamed - a lot. I was always looking out the window, lost in whatever fantasy story was going on in my head at the time.

If we were doing one of those "relay-reading" exercises, where each student read a paragraph out loud, I'd get bored waiting for my turn and just start reading ahead. . .so when it was my turn, I was never sure where to pick up. . .I'd be several paragraphs - or even pages - ahead of the class.

Sometimes I'd raise my hand and ask a question that had already been asked, I just hadn't heard it. I loved writing out notes/directions or doing assignments in different colored pens because it made it easier for me to focus on my work, or to break up the monotony of a page-ful of lecture notes.

My stuff was always a mess. Backpack crammed with papers, some of which were completed homework assignments that I'd just never turned in because I was daydreaming when the teacher collected them. I'd wait until the last minute to start working on school projects.

But I was never a "bad" kid - I was quiet, and in some cases I was almost obsessed with rules and doing things in the "right order," because I was so afraid of breaking them and getting in trouble. And I was an introvert. I still am. I had trouble figuring out the social rules of my classmates. And sometimes, I just didn't care.

I didn't like sports that involved throwing or catching balls. My coordination sucked and I was afraid of being hit in the face. But I wasn't a girly-girl, either. Couldn't stand playing "house/mommy/family" with other girls.

I loved riding my bike, though, and wandering around the woods and creek, pretending I was living in the wilderness. I liked building elaborate "sets" for my figurines to live in. Even something as simple as a piece of packing styrofoam for a small appliance could be transformed into a building or cave for my toys to live in. The honeysuckle tree in the backyard was the perfect home for the little animal figurines.

And, I didn't mind playing by myself. I really preferred it, because I could just get lost in that little fantasy world of characters and storylines.

Sir5r1 05-04-12 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Rex65 (Post 1295607)
Oh yes, I forgot this part. I was placed in the gifted program after making a very high score on their intelligence test. However, I was never able to follow through and complete any of the self chosen projects we were supposed to work on. So being considered gifted was pretty much a waste for me, learning wise.

BTW, I was born in 1965. ADHD wasn't on anyone's radar when I started school. Later on, when the condition was known, the "hyperactive" component was emphasized. So I doubt I would have been diagnosed even then. I was just a very smart, very lazy kid as far as my teachers were concerned.

I was the same. I was born in 1961, if you weren't bouncing off the walls you were ok.

trendx5 05-04-12 06:52 PM

Born in 1960, and only diagnosed ADD-PI 2 years ago right after my 50th birthday, I self diagnosed after reading through a pile of my old elementary school report cards that my sister had found and sent to me. Even then I didn't know about inattentive ADD, I remember reading all of the teacher comments about how smart I was, but how poorly I was doing, never finishing assignments, never turning in homework, sloppy handwriting messy desk, off reading a book on my own instead of doing classwork and without exception, being branded as 'Lazy' by every teacher.It was odd because for some reason I was reading this as though it was about someone else and thinking to myself 'this kid has got some kind of ADD without the hyper part' that sent me off to the web and as soon as I found out about ADD-PI it was like all of the pieces suddenly fit into place, I made an appointment with my Doctor an was officially diagnosed within a month. Adderall and Welbutrin have helped me a lot, still I can't help wondering what it would have been like to have had medication when I was a kid...Hope this wasn't too boring...