ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Co-Existing Conditions (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=309)
-   -   Do you have digestion problems? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188035)

icantbelive93 09-22-17 12:28 PM

Do you have digestion problems?

Do you struggle with digestion?

Unmanagable 09-22-17 02:32 PM

Re: Do you have digestion problems?

I used to struggle with (and was diagnosed with) severe IBS, severe "nervous stomach" where I'd puke at the drop of heavy stress, frequent diarrhea and cramping (always diagnosed and treated as a generic tummy virus or food poisoning - ha - how ironic -, until they decided it was ibs), acid reflux, and did a whole lot of belching and burping, which I was mistakenly taught simply meant "compliments to the chef".

After suffering a gall bladder attack 2.5 years ago, which luckily wasn't severe enough to require emergency surgery, I chose to switch to a mostly whole foods plant-based vegan diet, eliminating all meat, dairy, eggs, seafood, caffeine, artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, etc., and alcohol (minus some tinctures on occasion).

I had topped out at my heaviest weight, being 324 lbs. (although my doc always assured me I was healthy, based on blood work and vitals) and damn near bed ridden. Switching my consumption habits helped me lose 110 lbs and regain vitality that I was convinced was gone forever, according to the docs. No more digestive issues now, unless I consume stuff I know my body isn't intended to healthily digest. I now realize I was eating a lot of my dis-ease(s).

I got hooked on some old favorites again, like fries, onion rings, regular pizza crusts, potato wedges, eating late at night, etc., and my body quickly packed at least 30 of the pounds I lost back on, and the gall bladder reminded me what a bad idea that was. Hardest thing I've ever done, by far, but equally as rewarding.

If you're suffering, hope you find some substantial relief soon.

Fraser_0762 09-22-17 06:28 PM

Put it this way, if you're eating a lot of junk food frequently and aren't experiencing any digestive issues, then be very worried, as its a strong sign that your immune system isn't working properly.

Unhealthy food is supposed to make you feel unhealthy, if it doesn't, then something is seriously wrong.

sarahsweets 09-24-17 08:49 AM

I do and it has to do with a medical issue among many things. I can tell you that I have to watch it with meat, especially red meat. any kind of junk with more than 20 grams of sugar and any kind of artificial sugar bothers me. Trans fat junk food bothers me. refined carbs bothers me. Not to say that I dont slip up. I am under an enormous amount of stress right now and a half hour ago I ate half a donut and am already regretting it. Yogurt and aciddopholis supplements help me as doesn tumeric and my own made upn ginger tea. I use the actual tumeric root that I shred into things, not the seasoning.

ScatterBrainX 09-25-17 02:09 AM

I have the "nervous stomach" too (no puking though, just nausea).

A plant-based diet is what helped me the most with this too, but sadly the recipes I found that I liked take for ever to cook, and I don't have the time for it regularly.

It's useful to figure out which foods in particular affect you, because you don't need to have a 100% plant-based diet all the time to see its benefits.

For me, milk/cheese is the worst offender. Meat is not really a big problem.

spacegrrl 10-02-17 01:42 AM

I'm severely lactose intolerant. I need to read the ingredients of everything.

But, even beyond that, I sometimes have reactions to things that don't contain dairy. Sometimes these are things I made myself and I absolutely know. Or apples can do it to me, and I'm pretty sure those are dairy free. And these can be things that don't cause a reaction every time. There seems to be no rhyme or reason.