ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How do you react (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188731)

FlipperTheWhale 11-05-17 09:38 AM

How do you react

Have you ever been trapped by someone that talks non-stop and with way too much detail. They are usually interesting, which is how I get sucked in. Then they just spin it until I want to run out of the room. I felt like I was going to have a panic attack the last time this happened to me. I was on the verge of bolting out of the room.

I do not deal with this situation very well. Anybody else?

Unmanagable 11-05-17 10:46 AM

Re: How do you react

Look at your watch/the nearest clock/ask them for the time and say you'd love to hear more but you're going to be late for an appt., a previous engagement, etc. and must run.

Grab your cell phone and ask to be excused because you have an important call to take.

Start dancing and crossing your legs and ask where the nearest restroom is.

If that still doesn't break their momentum, tell them you have a raging headache and would like to continue, but simply can't.

ToneTone 11-05-17 04:57 PM

Yeah, I have spent more hours listening--enduring!--people like this than I care to remember.

I don't do this anymore.

Basically if the person won't shut up, they are acting rude to me. Therefore, I have the right to just randomly stand up and say, "I have to go."

Here's the thing: you don't have to say where you are going ... I just say "I have to go." And I go.

Key: you cannot wait for a "break" ... or a pause in the conversation because these people don't pause. So I have learned to stand up mid sentence!

Otherwise, I see it as dishonest to just listen ... because I'm acting like I'm interested when I'm not.

Stand and excuse yourself ... But don't say where ... that's giving them too much power.

"I gotta go." Stand ... Sometimes, they'll keep talking. "I gotta go." And I go.

Tone

Arthos 11-05-17 05:17 PM

I usually just go: "I am so sorry, but I really have to run"

Fuzzy12 11-05-17 05:37 PM

Omg yes and it drives me absolutely crazy. I start feeling very restless and anxious and I get this strong urge to rear offny ears and stuff then down to the talkers ears. I have actually sometimes scratched myself because I feel as if I'm going to explode.

I had a few colleagues at work like that and sometimes the only thing that helped was to stand up and say I have to go home. Very annoying on days i wanted to work late.

WhiteOwl 11-05-17 05:46 PM

I don't think I've had that problem. I'm usually the one doing too much talking because of my anxiety. Pauses make me nervous, so if the other person doesn't fill them, I will. I have only two modes, completely silent or chatterbox. I'm hoping my anxiety med will help with this.

I do try to pay attention to social cues, though, and even though it's difficult for me to end conversations, I am not offended when the other person excuses themself. In fact, I'm usually relieved! Some people have just learned not to start talking to me in the first place.