ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   I cannot do things automatically (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188743)

Arthos 11-06-17 05:05 AM

I cannot do things automatically

I know that some people do things automatically and then don't remember that/whether they have done it. Are there also people here who simply cannot do routine things automatically? (Thinking of locking a bike/door, turning off the gas, or even taking out the trash.)

Literally, if I cannot recall doing something (i.e. with conscious effort) then I have not done it at all. Locking a bike for instance. I rarely ever wonder whether I have done it, I simply look back and see/recall (not) doing it. That is not due to my amazing *ahum* short term memory, and more often than not it turns out that I have NOT done what I was supposed to be doing.

It's just so tiring. Wonder if this is an ADHD thing.

DeClutter 11-06-17 07:30 AM

Re: I cannot do things automatically

Oh, with me it is the opposite. I cannot count the times that i left for a business trip, and got anxious wether i locked the door, packed all what i needed or perhaps left a candle burning :-)

But it depends, there are things in life that i always hyperfocus on, it's ussually the little repetitive things that fall by the wayside, especially in moments of stress or excitement.

DJ Bill 11-06-17 12:54 PM

Yup, do it all the time. I have had moderate success with leaving the keys in the door and making sure I lock it when I go thru it. My keys also have my car key, so I "have" to lock the door. Still, I check. Another thing that helps a little is when the door is locked I pull on the knob to make sure it did lock, then say out loud to myself I have locked the front door. Only once in two years did I go back because I didn't remember locking the door and actually found it open, so I have learned to trust myself a little more.

Somehow you have to arrange things so you have to do those automatic things to go on to the next thing. And no, I don't always get it right. I am constantly going back to check.

Arthos 11-06-17 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Bill (Post 1971197)
Yup, do it all the time. I have had moderate success with leaving the keys in the door and making sure I lock it when I go thru it. My keys also have my car key, so I "have" to lock the door. Still, I check. Another thing that helps a little is when the door is locked I pull on the knob to make sure it did lock, then say out loud to myself I have locked the front door. Only once in two years did I go back because I didn't remember locking the door and actually found it open, so I have learned to trust myself a little more.

Somehow you have to arrange things so you have to do those automatic things to go on to the next thing. And no, I don't always get it right. I am constantly going back to check.

I have a lot of routines, some of which took me years to get used to. For one, all of my keys are on a lanyard attached to my trousers 24/7. My wallet is also in the pocket of my trousers. This goes well as long as I don't make exceptions. That's one of the few things I now have a sort of foolproof method for. I am open to suggestions for other "fixes"!

Still, it seems as if other people can actually do things without having to make a conscious effort. I am not sure how to describe it, but I think that the fact that I remember everything I have done does indicate that apparently I have done it with a conscious effort.

One thing with ADHD is that we tend to be inattentive or "lost in thought". Usually people can do routine tasks while lost in thought, but I can do very, very little in that state. That is problematic, as it is most of the time

Arthos 11-06-17 04:48 PM

Also, I love the shortened title of this topic on the main forums: "I cannot do things ..." as that is pretty much a summary of my life

stef 11-06-17 05:17 PM

I do many things automatically but then I forget, if I've actually done them.
Almost every day on the way to work, at about the same spot while walking to the train, I suddenly stop and check my purse for phone and makeup.

the one thing that's always in the same place, is my train pass in inside pocket of purse.

sarahsweets 11-07-17 06:18 AM

For me to do anything automatically I first have to exhaust all ways to make mistakes with whatever I need to do because I learn and change due to consequences or pain. (its the alcoholic in me). Once I do that enough I figure out a way that will work and then I have to practice it over and over until it becomes habit. That part takes a huge effort. I had to retrain my body so I could go to sleep at night because of horrible insomnia. I took ever med under the sun. I forced myself to go to bed and wake up at the same times everyday, regardless of what I had going on. I set my coffee up the night before. Now its such a habit I dont even need my alarm most days. I am the earlyiest of early birds and I love it. Same thing with my keys. I put them on a key chain with a carabeener. I hook them on my purse or belt loop and always know where they are.