ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Science & Philosophical Discussion (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=336)
-   -   What is inborn about ADHD in your opinion? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189540)

mildadhd 12-10-17 04:09 AM

What is inborn about ADHD in your opinion?
 
Quote:

Quote:

People with ADHD are hypersensitive.

That is not a fault or a weakness of theirs, it is how they were born.

It is their inborn temperament.

That, primarily, is what is hereditary about ADHD.

Genetic inheritance by itself cannot account for the presence of ADHD features in people, but heredity can make it far more likely that these features will emerge in a given individual, depending on circumstances.

It is sensitivity, not disorder, that is transmitted through heredity.

In most cases, ADHD is caused by the impact of the environment on particularly sensitive infants.
-Gabor Mate M.D., “Scattered”, p 59.

What is inborn about ADHD in your opinion?









M

mildadhd 12-10-17 04:43 AM

Re: What is inborn about ADHD in your opinion?
 
Emotional self regulation normally develops in interaction with the environment, over a period of time, before birth and the age of 7*.

It makes sense that development could be delayed over a period of time before the age of 7.

(*give or take)







M

sarahsweets 02-26-18 09:53 PM

Re: It makes me doubt ADD is real when..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 1986647)
I read in Dr. Mate’s books that ADHD causation could involve both genetic and environmental factors (nature and nurture), but there does not always need to be genetic factors.

I disagree. I think there has to be a genetic component and that environment will play a large roll in how those genetics cause adhd to emerge.

Quote:

People with ADHD are hypersensitive.

That is not a fault or a weakness of theirs, it is how they were born.

It is their inborn temperament.

That, primarily, is what is hereditary about ADHD.

Genetic inheritance by itself cannot account for the presence of ADHD features in people, but heredity can make it far more likely that these features will emerge in a given individual, depending on circumstances.

It is sensitivity, not disorder, that is transmitted through heredity.

In most cases, ADHD is caused by the impact of the environment on particularly sensitive infants.
-Gabor Mate M.D., “Scattered”, p 59.
I do not believe it is inborn temperament or sensitivity that is the genetic variant of adhd. I think saying adhd people are more sensitive due to emotional regulation issues is more accurate. Emotional regulation issues I believe are part of the genetic code that makes up adhd.

Lunacie 02-26-18 10:49 PM

Re: It makes me doubt ADD is real when..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahsweets (Post 1986772)
I disagree. I think there has to be a genetic component and that environment will play a large roll in how those genetics cause adhd to emerge.


I do not believe it is inborn temperament or sensitivity that is the genetic variant of adhd. I think saying adhd people are more sensitive due to emotional regulation issues is more accurate. Emotional regulation issues I believe are part of the genetic code that makes up adhd.

Absolutely totally completely agree. Couldn't agree more.

Of course, some brain injuries can cause adhd-like symptoms. My niece is a
real example of that. That isn't inborn adhd. (I hate that word 'inborn' but
that's the word that fits here).

Otherwise there is something genetic going on in the brain wiring (neuro-
transmitters) when that little person starts to come together inside the womb
that results in a person with adhd. We don't develop the disorder as children,
the disorder is that our brains don't develop neurotypically.

Lunacie 02-27-18 12:37 AM

Re: What is inborn about ADHD in your opinion?
 
I found this helpful ... Can genes be turned on and off in cells?
https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/howgeneswork/geneonoff


Quote:

Each cell expresses, or turns on, only a fraction of its genes. The rest of the genes are repressed, or turned off. The process of turning genes on and off is known as gene regulation. Gene regulation is an important part of normal development. Genes are turned on and off in different patterns during development to make a brain cell look and act different from a liver cell or a muscle cell, for example. Gene regulation also allows cells to react quickly to changes in their environments. Although we know that the regulation of genes is critical for life, this complex process is not yet fully understood.

Gene regulation can occur at any point during gene expression, but most commonly occurs at the level of transcription (when the information in a gene’s DNA is transferred to mRNA). Signals from the environment or from other cells activate proteins called transcription factors. These proteins bind to regulatory regions of a gene and increase or decrease the level of transcription. By controlling the level of transcription, this process can determine the amount of protein product that is made by a gene at any given time.
"Signals from the environment or from other cells activate proteins
called transcription factors."

Despite claims from Dr. Mate, it is not known whether some signal from the
environment or from other cells turns off, or fails to turn on, the areas that are
underdeveloped in the brain of someone diagnosed with adhd.

sighduck 02-27-18 01:00 AM

Re: What is inborn about ADHD in your opinion?
 
There is definitively a known issue regarding ineffective dopamine transmitters in the adhd brain, but is also known they social conditions in early childhood can have a physical effects on neurology... There I think there is a lot to look into regarding D.R Gabor Mate's work, but I feel that in general, the positions shown by D.r Barkley are better researched...

So... TL/DR from me, Gabor Mate's work shows some merits, and definitely warrants further study.

mildadhd 02-28-18 09:03 PM

Re: What is inborn about ADHD in your opinion?
 
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=66cYcSak6nE









M

mildadhd 02-28-18 09:54 PM

Re: What is inborn about ADHD in your opinion?
 
Quote:

(p 42) In some people, there will be a greater concentration of developmental problems.

This may be because their specific circumstances were worse, or because they were more sensitive, deeply affected by conditions that others with more robust temperaments could better withstand.

-Gabor Mate M.D., “Scattered”.


M

mildadhd 02-28-18 10:02 PM

Re: What is inborn about ADHD in your opinion?
 
Quote:

I read in Dr. Mate’s books that ADHD causation could involve both genetic and environmental factors (nature and nurture), but there does not always need to be genetic factors.
To clarify, ADHD causation does not always require a genetic predisposition.




M

mildadhd 02-28-18 11:18 PM

My AD(H)D is caused by...
 
My AD(H)D is caused by...

(See poll)




M

psychopathetic 02-28-18 11:29 PM

Re: My AD(H)D is caused by...
 
(x) OTHER: Sugar.



...
/is joking

sarahsweets 03-01-18 05:34 AM

Re: What is inborn about ADHD in your opinion?
 
I disagree, I believe there is always a genetic part to having adhd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 1987083)
To clarify, ADHD causation does not always require a genetic predisposition.




M


mildadhd 03-01-18 10:30 AM

Re: What is inborn about ADHD in your opinion?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahsweets (Post 1987110)
I disagree, I believe there is always a genetic part to having adhd.

I think there are always normal genetic factors involved in the development of self regulation (aka executive function), AD(H)D or not.

But there does not always need to be a inherited genetic predisposition to cause AD(H)D. (Aka, deficits of self regulation/deficits of executive function), because self regulation also develops in interaction with the environment.




M

Lunacie 03-01-18 11:08 AM

Re: What is inborn about ADHD in your opinion?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 1987131)
I think there are always normal genetic factors involved in the development of self regulation (aka executive function), AD(H)D or not.

But there does not always need to be a inherited genetic predisposition to cause AD(H)D. (Aka, deficits of self regulation/deficits of executive function), because self regulation also develops in interaction with the environment.




M

Science has been showing for at least the last decade that abnormal genetic
factors are key in the diagnosis of adhd, like this research from the U.K.

Quote:

Research provides the first direct evidence that attention-deficit/hyperactivity
disorder, or ADHD, is a genetic condition. Scientists in the UK found that
children with ADHD were more likely to have small segments of their DNA
duplicated or missing than other children.

The team at Cardiff University analysed the genomes of 366 children, all of
whom had been given a clinical diagnosis of ADHD, against over 1,000 control
samples in search of variations in their genetic make-up that were more
common in children with the condition.

"Children with ADHD have a significantly higher rate of missing or duplicated
DNA segments compared to other children and we have seen a clear genetic
link between these segments and other brain disorders," Dr. Nigel Williams.

Now we can say with confidence that ADHD is a genetic disease and that the
brains of children with this condition develop differently to those of other
children.
From Science Daily: First direct evidence that ADHD is a genetic disorder:
Children with ADHD more likely to have missing or duplicated segments of DNA


Therefore I think you have the cart before the horse, adhd makes a person
more sensitive, perhaps more prone to PTSD and anxiety. Not the other way
around where the sensitivity leads to development of adhd.

mildadhd 03-01-18 11:52 AM

Re: What is inborn about ADHD in your opinion?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunacie (Post 1987135)
Science has been showing for at least the last decade that abnormal genetic
factors are key in the diagnosis of adhd, like this research from the U.K.



From Science Daily: First direct evidence that ADHD is a genetic disorder:
Children with ADHD more likely to have missing or duplicated segments of DNA


Therefore I think you have the cart before the horse, adhd makes a person
more sensitive, perhaps more prone to PTSD and anxiety. Not the other way
around where the sensitivity leads to development of adhd.

Question

How does these inborn factors influence the development of self regulation/executive function in brain areas that always develop after birth, especially in early life?







M


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums