ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Nightmares (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189717)

Han123 12-20-17 12:35 PM

Nightmares

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and there's a lot of things I want to discuss with you guys, but I don't really know where to start. So I guess I'll start with something not too heavy: my nightmares.

I don't know if my nightmares are related to my ADD, but I do have this feeling it is. I have nightmares every night and they're generally very violent. I have to smash people's heads in, choke them, stab them, whatever. Usually, the people/monsters in my nightmares cannot harm me physically, but they chase me, frighten me, threaten me, you get the jist of it. My nightmares can also be sexual, and those dreams leave me the most upset. The dreams are not night terrors in the sense that I don't wake up screaming or crying (sometimes I do but I consider those occasions exceptional) and I'm not afraid to go to sleep, nor do I have trouble falling asleep. I think I've just gotten used to them because they've been there since I was a child.

Now the problem is that lately they have become a lot worse. As I already said, I get them every night. I never have happy dreams, but before I could at least not dream 1 or 2 nights a week. Especially if I smoke weed, I used to have a guarantee I would not dream, but I don't get that effect anymore. It's like the tension in my mind has become to strong to be numbed by alcohol or drugs.

Having so many super intense nightmares tires me. I feel like my mind is constantly racing during the day and also at night, and so I cannot get any good rest and just feel exhausted mentally and physically by extent. And this makes it even harder to concentrate and generally do what I need to do.

Do any of you have a similar problem? How do you deal with it? I've tried making my room completely dark, not eating before bed, relaxing tea, yoga, breathing exercises, ... I also have to put my alarm every single ******* day because the nightmares get worse when I'm not sleeping very deep anymore if you know what I mean, and then I feel even more tired.

sarahsweets 12-21-17 04:02 AM

Re: Nightmares

Do you take any other sort of medication before bed, even herbal or over the counter?

finallyfound10 12-21-17 11:12 PM

Prazosin, an anti-hypertensive, is used to treat nightmares in people who have PTSD and other issues. Perhaps talk to your doctor and see if it could work for you.

Han123 12-22-17 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahsweets (Post 1979456)
Do you take any other sort of medication before bed, even herbal or over the counter?

No I don't take anything. I usually drink tea without caffe´ne before bed, some sort of herbal tea. But I change the tea all the time also so it's not related.

finallyfound10, thanks for the suggestion, but I don't really want to take medication for it just jet. I want to see if there are other things that I can try, and I was also really wondering whether other people have the same issue.

CharlesH 12-22-17 10:45 PM

Do you have PTSD or some other source of trauma that is causing you to have these nightmares? If that's the case, then you probably need to work out those issues with a therapist.

If instead your nightmares are from a chemical imbalance, then medications like prazosin might help.

Best of luck!

meadd823 12-23-17 01:02 AM

I am so ADD I never even remember I dreamed... so nightmare if I have them are forgotten before I even get my feet on the floor.

Han123 12-23-17 06:47 AM

There might be some trauma's I still need to deal with... I used to go to a psychologist, but that didn't help that much. I guess I wanted an easy way out; therapy is expensive and takes so long :/. Thanks all for taking the time.

psychopathetic 12-23-17 12:40 PM

I too am plagued with all sorts of sleeping issues...nightmares among them.
I never thought of it, but I really think you're on to something here. Nightmares being just another part of my ADD.
My mind races too...so maybe that's why I have such intense...sometimes immediate...nightmares. My "ADD mind" is bouncing around going nuts with boredom...lol.

Pretty fascinating.
And the more I learn about ADHD, the more it seems to explain about things I've gone through.