ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   YodaWannabe in Wisconsin (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189868)

Padawan 01-02-18 11:58 AM

YodaWannabe in Wisconsin

Last year (pre ADHD awareness) I deleted my Facebook and Twitter accounts because... well... at the time I didn't know why, but now I think it's because they were overwhelming, just another experience of feeling a stranger in a strange land, something that I didn't need. I swore off online communities then, but I am so glad to have found this place now.

I'm a 53 yo woman, in the process of being diagnosed (switching from a psychologist to a psychiatrist and need to wait a few weeks for the first appointment), whose symptoms came crashing down around me once I entered menopause. So many things about my life now are beginning to make sense: quirks and struggles I'd attributed to social anxiety or introversion or laziness or a fixed mindset or being the target of childhood teasing or being highly sensitive or depression (which was led me to therapy and, after the first session, the suggestion that I may be dealing mainly with attention issues) are all better explained by ADHD.

So who am I really?

"You know nothing, YodaWannabe."

The fresh start I'd been grasping for elusively my entire life finally feels within reach, but for reasons I never would have predicted.

midnightstar 01-02-18 01:21 PM

Re: YodaWannabe in Wisconsin

Welcome to the forum :)

excelsior 01-02-18 02:04 PM

Yep! Welcome!

aeon 01-02-18 02:22 PM

Welcome to the Forums :)

sarahsweets 01-02-18 02:40 PM

Another thing to remember is that adhd symptoms tend to get worse during a woman's period and many of us complain that are meds do not seem to work right. I believe this is due to hormones. So if you are in the process of dealing with pre-menopause or during menopause adhd symptoms can be more pronounced, if not more severe.

Padawan 01-02-18 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahsweets (Post 1980751)
Another thing to remember is that adhd symptoms tend to get worse during a woman's period and many of us complain that are meds do not seem to work right. I believe this is due to hormones. So if you are in the process of dealing with pre-menopause or during menopause adhd symptoms can be more pronounced, if not more severe.

Thanks! That's a good reminder. I was able to study remarkably well for my MA exams (the one time in my life that concentration wasn't as much of a struggle as usual), but I was pregnant during those months, and I've read that the more constantly high levels of estrogen then mean that norepinephrine is higher.

Fuzzy12 01-02-18 04:15 PM

Welcome to the forum.:)

Goofycook 01-03-18 12:02 PM

Welcome I'm from Wisconsin also. I can relate to all your struggles. I just turned 60 and didn't go on meds til 9 year ago as I was going through my change

Padawan 01-04-18 01:58 PM

YodaWannabe is now Padawan
:cool: