ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Guy who pushed wrong button in Hawaii (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190229)

finallyfound10 02-03-18 12:01 AM

Guy who pushed wrong button in Hawaii

The guy who pushed the wrong button in Hawaii a few weeks ago may be one of us:

-He has made similar mistakes before but they were on paper.

-Everyone else knew it was a drill. He didn't hear the last part of the announcement leading him to push the wrong button.

-He got fired.

-He and his family are suffering.

Hmmmmm..... So much of that looks and feels very familiar.....

mildadhd 02-03-18 12:24 AM

Re: Guy who pushed wrong button in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by finallyfound10 (Post 1984034)
The guy who pushed the wrong button in Hawaii a few weeks ago may be one of us:

-He has made similar mistakes before but they were on paper.

-Everyone else knew it was a drill. He didn't hear the last part of the announcement leading him to push the wrong button.

-He got fired.

Hmmmmm..... So much of that looks and feels very familiar.....

Does the guy think he has ADHD?

I was told the only job I was not permited to do was be a pilot, when I asked.

Maybe he could get retraining in another area through workers compensation if he does have ADHD?

The guy needs to see a doctor and find out.

If so maybe ADDForum could start a petition thread?

But the guy needs to find out, first.

M

FlipperTheWhale 02-03-18 12:28 AM

I would not rush to make that call. I think the UI was pretty lousy that you could make such an error without being prompted. A drop down menu? Drop down menus are very easy to make a wrong choice. A bold prompt message should follow that.
That choice should also be located on a special area of the menu.

finallyfound10 02-03-18 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlipperTheWhale (Post 1984036)
I would not rush to make that call. I think the UI was pretty lousy that you could make such an error without being prompted. A drop down menu? Drop down menus are very easy to make a wrong choice. A bold prompt message should follow that.
That choice should also be located on a special area of the menu.

What's a UI? User Interface?

Drop down would be the dumbest for something like a state-wide alert system! That isn't good for anyone but it was the previous errors and all of his coworkers knowing it was a drill but he didn't. It's all very familiar.

sarahsweets 02-03-18 08:22 AM

I think he exhibited other things where he made mistakes. I certainly do not want him to have adhd or claim him as one of us, thats the last thing we need.

Fraser_0762 02-03-18 08:48 AM

No, it could have happened to anyone at anytime. Nobody is mistakeless, so lets not pretend that people without ADHD are.

FlipperTheWhale 02-03-18 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finallyfound10 (Post 1984037)
What's a UI? User Interface?

Drop down would be the dumbest for something like a state-wide alert system! That isn't good for anyone but it was the previous errors and all of his coworkers knowing it was a drill but he didn't. It's all very familiar.

So he went in not understanding? He didn't question this action? "Are you serious, this is for real?" In such serious situations, I would think a group would be at the monitor watching and double checking command orders.

Greyhound1 02-03-18 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finallyfound10 (Post 1984034)

-He got fired.

Did he get fired recently? Iíve only heard he was reassigned.

Quote:

The Civil Defense employee who 'pushed the wrong button' which set off an alert warning of an incoming missile attack in Hawaii on Saturday has been reassigned, but not fired, according to CBS News.

Greyhound1 02-03-18 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyhound1 (Post 1984079)
Did he get fired recently? Iíve only heard he was reassigned.

Never mind. Just read where he was fired on Jan. 26.

finallyfound10 02-03-18 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 (Post 1984055)
No, it could have happened to anyone at anytime. Nobody is mistakeless, so lets not pretend that people without ADHD are.

Oh, NTs make mistakes too. They aren't perfect.

It was all of it together.
He had mistakes twice in the past and all of his coworkers knew it was a drill but him. He got fired. The article also stated that he feels he's being made a scapegoat for the agency and state.

finallyfound10 02-03-18 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlipperTheWhale (Post 1984056)
So he went in not understanding? He didn't question this action? "Are you serious, this is for real?" In such serious situations, I would think a group would be at the monitor watching and double checking command orders.

He didn't question that it was a drill since he didn't hear the last part of the announcement. No one was at the computer but him.

Hawaii is revamping their process.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/03/us/ha...aks/index.html

finallyfound10 02-03-18 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahsweets (Post 1984046)
I think he exhibited other things where he made mistakes. I certainly do not want him to have adhd or claim him as one of us, thats the last thing we need.

I don't want him to have ADHD. I wouldn't wish that on anyone! All of it together is makes me think that. His previous mistakes, all of his coworkers but him knew it was a drill, his thinking he being made the scape goat for the agency and state.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/30/us/ha...ion/index.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-revealed.html

kilted_scotsman 02-04-18 12:58 PM

Doesn't matter if he was ADD or not. The interface should not have allowed such a major announcement without crosscheck with someone else, ideally a senior.

From what I've heard the interface design of the system was dire.

so .. yes... he is a fall guy, but that's what happens. The person who signed off the system is clearly incompetent.

Probably the Peter Principle applies... the senior manager who is responsible for the system has attained a level of super-incompetence and as such are untouchable. There they will remain, being super incompetent and disrupting anyone competent trying to fix the results of their incompetence.

FlipperTheWhale 02-04-18 01:42 PM

Not to drag this on, but it took about 37 minutes to issue a second alert stating it was not real. Why couldn't someone else in the office shoot off a "this is a test" alert right away?

stef 02-04-18 03:24 PM

At work, if i open any document that's been saved on the firm's filesite system, even just to print it, I get a message asking if I want to save changes.

You would think there would be some kind of IT security prompt, when nuclear weapons are involved!