ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forums Help, Q&A (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Who started, manages, pays for, etc. this amazing forum? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65234)

copperpenny 03-16-09 05:22 AM

Who started, manages, pays for, etc. this amazing forum?

I am very impressed by this forum. There is a lot of activity, but minimal spam or pranksters. There are so many members and a great balance of expertise and backgrounds. It is very well organized, IMO, and runs very efficiently.

Who started this? I looked into the Vbulletin company just out of curiosity, and noticed that you have to pay to use it. Who funds this forum? I haven't seen any donation sections or anything... How are the moderators or admins chosen?

Andrew 03-16-09 07:38 AM

Re: Who started, manages, pays for, etc. this amazing forum?

Hello Copperpenny...you certainly have a lot of questions!

This forums is owned by "David" (You can search for him in the Members List at the top of the page).

This forum is privately funded, although donations are certainly welcome (Please see the Donate link at the top of the page).

Moderators are chosen by senior staff members of the forums, based on a number of criteria, including forums participation and interaction style with members.

Administrators are generally chosen from the senior staff member ranks.

Hope this post answers your questions. :)

Aquablue 03-16-09 03:32 PM

I, too, am impressed with this community and in the past 10 or so days since discovery have wondered (a lot) about:

a) its roots/how it came to be
b) its funding
c) how, in a cyberworld seemingly immune to censorship even when needed (malicious cyberbullying against middle- and high schoolers, for example) the forums uphold high standards while maintaining an ethic of tolerance and inviting people with add/adhd of all ages and backgrounds to express themselves freely.

Last but not....I ordered this wrong, it belongs on top....I am touched and heartened by the kindness that lives here. I have in the past belonged to 5 or 6 on-line discussion groups and professional communities characterized by generic respect and cordialness. But none had a small fraction of the kindness, in pure form, that exists here. What I mean by pure is people helping and caring for others without looking back or ahead, without slinging personal s_ _ _ or expecting any reward. Nothing is more of a turn-on to me than random kindness.

Thanks much for this Q. and A.......Oh well, back to work :(

FinallyAnswered 03-16-09 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquablue (Post 717468)
I, too, am impressed with this community and in the past 10 or so days since discovery have wondered (a lot) about:

a) its roots/how it came to be
b) its funding
c) how, in a cyberworld seemingly immune to censorship even when needed (malicious cyberbullying against middle- and high schoolers, for example) the forums uphold high standards while maintaining an ethic of tolerance and inviting people with add/adhd of all ages and backgrounds to express themselves freely.

Last but not....I ordered this wrong, it belongs on top....I am touched and heartened by the kindness that lives here. I have in the past belonged to 5 or 6 on-line discussion groups and professional communities characterized by generic respect and cordialness. But none had a small fraction of the kindness, in pure form, that exists here. What I mean by pure is people helping and caring for others without looking back or ahead, without slinging personal s_ _ _ or expecting any reward. Nothing is more of a turn-on to me than random kindness.

Thanks much for this Q. and A.......Oh well, back to work :(

Nice post Aqua.....I agree completely. I don't know the originator David, but I have to assume by the way this board is maintained by him and the cool Mods that this is a labor of love. The lack of advertising ANYWHERE on these threads tells me that there was no ulterior motive in bringing this to fruition.

Other boards seem to be created not to help the participants as much as help line the pockets of the creator(s). The products may look the same at a glance, but it's only when one spends a bit of time on here do they notice the difference.

Note to David and the Mods: Thank you very much on behalf of everyone for your thoughtfulness and dedication to maintaining the integrity of this site. It is greatly appreciated! :)

doiadhd 06-13-09 11:15 PM

Yes!The term oasis has'nt left me since i got here......and i don't think i've left here since i got here:)
Thanking y'll to!

eminorsoul 07-30-09 03:57 PM

Maybe we ADDers are just more kind-hearted than the general population. :)

(Only half-joking. Here's a study that links ADHD and evolved altruism: http://www.marginalrevolution.com/ma...hd-evolve.html)