View Single Post
Old 10-06-17, 10:54 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,171 Times in 5,399 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amphetamine and Pain: pain reception dysfunction and psychopathology

Excellent initial post, and I could not agree more.

I notice that Dexedrine does not so much lessen my pain (physical and emotional) as much as it allows me to redirect my focus of attention elsewhere.

And when I do, and I choose to make the focus of my attention those things I value, find beautiful, or those things that give me some pleasure to consider, that choice actually does reduce my degree of pain, both physical and emotional.

I have my moods like anyone else, and for sure, I can experience dysphoria something horrorshow, especially if I have not eaten, and/or I am in serious need of sleep. This usually happens toward the end of the day.

Before I was diagnosed ADHD, or took any meds for it, I found I could tolerate physical pain by “going into it.” What I mean by this is I would not try to avoid it by thinking of something else, but instead think directly of the pain itself, explore the sensation within the area of my body, and mentally try and fuse with it, become one with it.

Inasmuch as the subject-object relationship would be lost for a moment, there was no longer a “me” being afflicted by something. Acceptance and integration of the pain into my sense of self allowed me to be fully aware of my experience, and understand that the pain was an essential expression of me being alive. In this way, pain was life-affirming, and did not hurt. It felt like a reminder of the gift of life.

That style of thinking came from my experience with various psychedelic entheogens. Per forum guidelines, I do not recommend them to anyone. That said, they did forever change me in a way I am so very grateful for.

Cheers,
Ian