View Single Post
Old 10-08-17, 12:00 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to all
Re: Starting projects with no real aim or purpose

I often start study projects that have no real goal other than satisfying my own fascination. In my case, my projects usually involve studying everything I can find about some obscure topic that I know will never be of any real practical use to me.

I've always been interested in languages, so I decided to study several ancient ones such as Old Babylonian and Sumerian. So I bought a bunch of expensive grammars and dictionaries of these long dead languages and spent a few months trying to learn them. I only got part way through these grammars before my interest got captured by something new. I later came back again to studying these languages, but had to start at the beginning again since I had forgotten what I studied before. I'm not sure what I would ever do with these languages even if I ever learned them.

I also have, for example (and there are many others), a whole shelf full of books on the history of Ancient Egypt (another study project of mine) and a shelf full of books on the history of medieval and early modern France (another study project of mine). Of course, very few of these books have ever been finished. When I start reading a book, I usually end up getting interested in a new one long before I ever finish reading the old one and within a month or two, I've usually forgotten a lot of what I read anyway. And what would I ever do with my knowledge of Ancient Egypt or medieval France if I ever managed to finish the books I bought on those subjects or remember what I read in them?
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-08-17), namazu (10-08-17), stef (10-08-17)