View Single Post
Old 10-08-17, 12:00 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of
Re: Starting projects with no real aim or purpose

I often start study projects that have no real goal other than satisfying my own fascination. In my case, my projects usually involve studying everything I can find about some obscure topic that I know will never be of any real practical use to me.

I've always been interested in languages, so I decided to study several ancient ones such as Old Babylonian and Sumerian. So I bought a bunch of expensive grammars and dictionaries of these long dead languages and spent a few months trying to learn them. I only got part way through these grammars before my interest got captured by something new. I later came back again to studying these languages, but had to start at the beginning again since I had forgotten what I studied before. I'm not sure what I would ever do with these languages even if I ever learned them.

I also have, for example (and there are many others), a whole shelf full of books on the history of Ancient Egypt (another study project of mine) and a shelf full of books on the history of medieval and early modern France (another study project of mine). Of course, very few of these books have ever been finished. When I start reading a book, I usually end up getting interested in a new one long before I ever finish reading the old one and within a month or two, I've usually forgotten a lot of what I read anyway. And what would I ever do with my knowledge of Ancient Egypt or medieval France if I ever managed to finish the books I bought on those subjects or remember what I read in them?
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-08-17), namazu (10-08-17), stef (10-08-17)