View Single Post
Old 10-10-17, 01:32 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,015 Times in 2,815 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amphetamine and Pain: pain reception dysfunction and psychopathology

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post

Although these areas (pain perception and its correlation to psychopathology) obviously can be considered associated with some psychological disorders, more studies are underway to investigate a possible correlation.

The paucity in literature, with respect to substance P, other specific non-discussed, receptors of dopamine, and how the brain -specifically regulates pain- and it's possible correlation with psychological disorders, is a rather new field of study.

You may find someone talking about dopamine, and never heard of substance P
As I suggested in my first post the issue with dwelling on specific neurotransmitters is that the bigger problem is networks- and how one network feeds back on another.

IE You might end up with an apparent deficit of substance P- but the real problem is that the network which drives the neurones that produce substance p is underactive, rahther than there being anything amiss with the capacity to produce substance p per se.

Quote:
But, many scholars have found that there is a clear model of:

* disrupted emotional and physical modulation of pain and psychopathology *

Faulty modulation correlates, most often, with the following:

brainstem nuclei ** (Substance P) **
orbitofrontal cortex

And..even though this is a very broad statement, the --"limbic system"-- itself.
I wonder if the scholars have forgotten what it is like to have pain. Pain produces a stress response which leaves one on edge and prone to see significant threat where there is none-- simply through the sympathetic overactivation. Hence anxiety and irritability.

However sympathetic overactivation drops the threshold for pain (via a brainstem nucleus called the locus coeruleus)- and that creates a feedback loop.

Equally chronic pain will be chronically limiting of one's ability to get exercise and enjoy opportunities for fun that everyone takes for granted- hence depression.

Quote:
Some research tends to suggest that Adderall (amphetamine) helps control chronic pain in some individuals, especially those with ADHD, and specifically those who have major depressive disorder, and fibromyalgia in addition to ADHD, through its dopamine altering qualities… (And other mechanisms that we are not even aware of today p.... )
I have seen examples of this- and even have heard of it being used in pain management- but it is not common, or long lasting from what i have heard.

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

both by:
Max Planck: Nobel Prize 1918 for inventing quantum physics.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (11-05-17)