View Single Post
Old 11-10-17, 07:19 AM

OyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to behold
Re: No report cards to bring

I'm not sure your notebooks would be very useful unless they really show you struggling in school somehow. I think CharlesH's idea about having people who knew you as a child give some sort of testimony is best if you can't bring any report cards. In addition to my report cards I wrote down a whole bunch of ways ADD has affected my life, that way I wouldn't forget to mention most of it. I still forgot a bunch, but at least I had the major things down on paper.

If you can't do that, I would think it's fine to go in without. I tried to look up NHS's policies for diagnosing ADHD in adults but didn't really come up with much. Did someone from there specifically ask you to bring your school records or is it something you just heard could be beneficial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Who told you you need to bring a written record for a diagnosis?
I barely graduated primary school with a GPA of 1.5 and wasn't accepted into high school with such poor grades. I was strongly advised (by others who have gone through the process, not the GP) to bring my graduation report card to my pre-assessment with a GP and it did help. I will be bringing it to my actual assessment as well.

Here in Europe they place a lot of emphasis on the idea that ADD should have hindered you all your life, in which case your report cards should show it. I don't agree with this, because some people are better able to adapt to school despite ADD than others. Some may also have had parents, siblings or friends who could have helped them learn in a more ADD-friendly way etc. A decent GPA doesn't mean they didn't have an immensely tough time and lots of external help achieving it.

There's also the old and damaging but still lingering idea that ADD is only really a thing in your childhood. In fact, here in Finland, it's only recently (I think the last 2 years) that our national health insurance started covering ADD meds for people over age 25, because it was viewed as a kid's disorder.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
Cat Noir (11-10-17), namazu (11-10-17)