Thread: I need help
View Single Post
Old 11-29-17, 07:30 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,007 Times in 5,260 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I need help

Heya, I've struggled mightily with my weight in the past, especially when I was depressed and frustrated by my job.

I can't necessarily speak to the binge eating (though there have been a handful of studies that link impulsivity to binge eating and advocate for ADHD meds as a potential treatment beyond just suppressing appetite).

What I can do is offer what worked for me in terms of weight loss. Deprivation doesn't work. Saying that I can't eat something or shouldn't drink that soda...psychologically that's hard. The minute something is forbidden completely, that's when I crave it the most.

So what I do is avoid having the things that I'm most likely to fall into eating too much of at home. That means limited sweets (I have frozen berries like cherries instead). If it's not there and I have to expend effort to buy something in order to eat it, the extra step helps mitigate my impulse. It's never perfect but it helps.

The biggest dietary change we've made over the last couple of months is to cut out refined grains and to increase vegetable and fruit consumption. My gut says this might be easier in the U.K., but it's not quite as simple as it sounds when it comes to bread and other baked goods that you don't make yourself.

Basically, we've stopped eating white rice, replacing it with either brown rice or another whole grain like quinoa. Ditto with pasta: whole Durham wheat or semolina flour pasta, no enriched flour. Like I said above, bread has been the hardest to replace. There are sprouted grain breads that are pretty good, though some of those (at least in the US) contain added sugars.

In any case, I wish you luck. Struggling with food is rough. If you have problems with alcohol or drugs, you can abstain from those substances and still survive. We all have to eat.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-29-17), Fuzzy12 (11-29-17), Unmanagable (11-29-17)