View Single Post
Old 12-31-17, 01:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,484 Times in 813 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miserable, alcoholic death

(((Sarah))) I am sorry for the loss of your friend. That is so sad. You nor her husband are responsible for her death- only she is. Tough love is hard but necessary sometimes.

You are correct about self-detoxing! Out of all of the substances we detox from, only in alcohol detox can death occur if it's not done properly. Lamictal can help prevent acute alcohol withdrawal but I haven't seen it as we use Ativan on my behavioral health unit. When my hospital's new medical detox/rehab unit opens next month they will also use Phenobarbital which is better than Ativan.

Lastly, the common unsteady walking you mentioned is due to cerebellar issues such as gait and equilibrium disturbances. Many chronic alcoholics develop cerebellar degeneration which progressive and irreversible. My dad has it.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-31-17), Little Missy (12-31-17), sarahsweets (12-31-17)