View Single Post
Old 01-02-18, 11:22 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,257 Times in 6,375 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to raise a confident human? Rules of the playground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
Fuzzy, not all people/parents/kids need to be hung out with. I have a 15 year old and an 8 year old and on more than one occasion over the years I have said "You aren't allowed to hang out with XXX anymore".
Back when I was taking a young'un to activities, like youth soccer, I remember seeing families who would look typical at first, but after a few minutes of observation I could see how they would interact with one another, and I would be concerned because I could see engagement patterns that included the use of invalidation, negative reinforcement, shaming, and so on, on the part of the parents, and compensatory behaviors on the part of the kids.

No reason to poison the well if you don’t have to.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-02-18), stef (01-02-18)