View Single Post
Old 01-03-18, 03:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,037 Times in 2,500 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job/Career Predicament

I've had a number of roles in very varied sectors, but the thing that stands out is that I've crashed and burned in office type environments. I seem to do well in active type roles where there's a small team, a flat hierarchy and short, project focused work where everyone works hard toward a defined goal after which there's time to chill.

Remember that conventional "work" in a long term role isn't the only way to work... there's a whole world of project type work where practical skill outweighs qualifications and "customer facing" type skills.

I've found I work best with a "buddy" who helps keep me grounded and handles the customer if there is a need to. This type of scenario is common in trade work where people often work in two's or three's.

In short..... conventional work doesn't work for me. Which is why, like you I have a CV that makes an HR droid scream with terror.

PS.... you're not old.... I'm into my 50's and still don't have more than 12 months continuous work in any one role.... but I have many seasonal or project roles where I've gone back to the same team several times over a couple of years.

Most important thing is to find the right tribe..... office workers ain't mine!
The Following User Says Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
stef (01-03-18)