View Single Post
Old 02-03-18, 03:08 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,202 Times in 10,123 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Questions about so called SCT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
people who have SCT do not have any hyperactive symptoms
This assumption is not necessarily accurate. Some people who have SCT symptoms may also have hyperactive-impulsive symptoms.

For example, they may be fidgety (ADHD symptom) and also have trouble regulating alertness ("SCT" symptom), they may frequently interrupt other people (ADHD symptom) and also stare into space a lot ("SCT" symptom), etc.

There are some proposed "SCT" symptoms that would be difficult to show at the same time as ADHD symptoms, like hypoactivity and hyperactivity. I would guess that these particular symptoms would not coexist -- unless the person swings from one to the other without "normal" activity levels in-between. (Though I don't think this really fits the models of either ADHD or SCT -- it's more like bipolar disorder.) But other sets of symptoms, like the ones I mentioned above, are not mutually exclusive, and can coexist.

The criteria for "SCT" are not yet well established, and the level and nature of overlap with ADHD (of all presentations) remains unclear.