View Single Post
Old 02-08-18, 04:42 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,238 Times in 14,917 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Meeting with School Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen_in_SanJose View Post
Oh I know how fortunate I am, however I believe that is more a function of where I live and not that my specific Catholic school is special. I won't get into politics, but the bay area is much more accepting and accommodating and that is why I live where I live.

My son has had amazing teachers up to this point and they have already accommodated him even without a diagnosis. They let him have a standing desk, use a rubber band to "run", work at the back counter or teacher's desk, and created "Luka island" which is his desk separate from the others so he wouldn't be as distracted.
Wow you are super lucky!
Quote:
What I am really looking for are things like no timed test, take tests in the office so no distractions, and no busy work. In third grade there are tons of assignments that are repetitive. He is gifted and is testing at 6th grade level for reading and math. He doesn't need to do something 100 times to prove he knows it. He doesn't need to color in a worksheet every week to prove he knows basic music notes as he reads music and has been taking piano since he was 6. I don't want him to have an exception to know concepts he needs to know, I want him to be able to prove he understands the concept and move on.. His psychologist agrees and that is what she asked for.
but it doesnt matter if he doesnt need the repetition or the busy work because he is gifted. The other kids are not. If he is that gifted then maybe a diffrent private school altogether would make more sense. He is doing grade level work and you might think its busy work but moms of the other kids might think otherwise. Its not about proving he knows something- its demonstrating the skills of following directions, working in a group or on your own. Focusing and not getting distracted etc.

Quote:
I think in some ways we will be more accommodated for in our current school because we don't have to go through the government "red tape". His school values him and wants him to be a part of their community. They can also use common sense instead of having to follow set guidelines pushed down to them. If he KNOWS something, why make him suffer and keep doing it over and over again?
How is it suffering to do something repetitively. School is like that everywhere. If he is too smart for that he needs to test out of third grade and skip to a grade where the work is challenging.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (02-08-18)