View Single Post
Old 02-08-18, 12:54 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,035 Times in 5,274 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Meeting with School Today

When I was in school, reduced workload and extra time on tests allowed me to show what I really knew rather than how much I produced. While it may technically be true that there is limited accommodation in the "real world", a 9 year old is not only learning content, they are also learning coping skills and how to navigate the school environment.

Schools are also not the most accommodating places. To some extent you can choose a job that is more aligned to your needs than sitting in class all day is. At a desk job, you may be able to get up and walk around without asking for permission, for example.

Accommodations and curriculum modifications exist for a reason, and it's not just for those students who are visibly struggling. In fact, it's sometimes harder to identify those students who are strongly motivated and well-behaved in school, but meltdown at home because of all the pressure to achieve despite learning differences.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (02-08-18), namazu (02-08-18)