View Single Post
Old 02-08-18, 05:29 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,126 Times in 5,310 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Meeting with School Today

I'm trying to let this go, but I can't. I would not have survived school without the reduced workload modification in elementary and middle school. More time does not always alleviate the problem. Especially as the workload and homework load increase. If the kid gets 10 out of 20 questions done in the allotted time, but gets 10/10 correct, why waste more time/let the kid get further behind practicing the same thing over and over again when he clearly gets it?

One of the students I worked with had physical challenges that means that every response is a time consuming process. The amount of physical and mental effort involved is incredible. Assessing competence in this instance is much more important than spinning wheels "excercising brains." That doesn't mean that nobody is working on solutions to make the process more efficient, but until that happens, we do the best we can. Why should it be any different for a mental disability?

It's one thing to exercise your brain; it's quite another to beat it to death with a stick. Leading to mastery should be a thing for everyone. If your kid ever does the Kahn academy practice problems, that's what the program does.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
Jen_in_SanJose (02-09-18), Lunacie (02-08-18), Lunamoth (02-08-18)