View Single Post
Old 02-08-18, 06:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,575 Times in 11,916 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Meeting with School Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan View Post
I'm trying to let this go, but I can't. I would not have survived school without the reduced workload modification in elementary and middle school. More time does not always alleviate the problem. Especially as the workload and homework load increase. If the kid gets 10 out of 20 questions done in the allotted time, but gets 10/10 correct, why waste more time/let the kid get further behind practicing the same thing over and over again when he clearly gets it?

One of the students I worked with had physical challenges that means that every response is a time consuming process. The amount of physical and mental effort involved is incredible. Assessing competence in this instance is much more important than spinning wheels "excercising brains." That doesn't mean that nobody is working on solutions to make the process more efficient, but until that happens, we do the best we can. Why should it be any different for a mental disability?

It's one thing to exercise your brain; it's quite another to beat it to death with a stick. Leading to mastery should be a thing for everyone. If your kid ever does the Kahn academy practice problems, that's what the program does.
Yep, it became part of my granddaughter's IEP early on that as long as she
could show she was understanding the work, she only had to do half as many
problems since it takes her at least twice as long. School has never been "a
breeze" for her.

Also, every child is different. For my other granddaughter, 5th grade was when
it got complicated and the teachers were finally willing to fill out evaluation
forms to get her diagnosed.

But for me, middle school, 7th and 8th grades, were when the struggle got
real for me.

And I totally agree with Jen-in-SanJose that unremitting struggle is very
damaging to self-esteem. It breaks my heart to see my oldest granddaughter
feel like she is 'less than' or 'not good enough' because of how some of her
teachers and her dad treated her. Didn't matter how often her mom and I told
her that she was great. Most people "feel" the negative comments more
strongly than the positive ones.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Jen_in_SanJose (02-09-18), TygerSan (02-08-18)