View Single Post
Old 02-09-18, 04:59 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,053 Times in 14,232 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Meeting with School Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen_in_SanJose View Post
Sarah thanks for the note. I just read it and really appreciated that you wish it had been more compassionate. I get it. I know how forums can be. We all have opinions and it is so easy to state them, but no one knows each other. We aren't chatting in our living rooms over a glass of wine. As for the "not fair" bit, I still don't get that. Do you truly care what another child in the classroom does or doesn't do?? I only care if it impacts MY child's ability to learn. I expect the school and parents of the other children to decide what is right for them. I really don't understand where you are coming from on that one. Maybe that is why there is a need for 504 and IEPs that you all talk about because other parents need something formalized in writing so they don't feel it is "unfair". Very interesting... If a child is missing a leg and they are allowed to skip PE, but your child who doesn't like PE has to participate is that "fair". I feel for the school administrators and understand why they are so unwilling to listen to parents' expressing their children's needs as they are worried that it will be seen as "preferential" treatment if even parents of ADHD kids talk about unfair instead of what is right for each child...This is likely why teachers and admin have to go through a formal process, not because they don't care but they have to protect themselves from all the other parents. Thank GOD my children are in an accepting school with a community that understands one size does not fit all and every child is different. My son is already in the accelerated math program and the school already has Spanish, music, and an art program so he is getting plenty of other well rounded education.
OMG Jen PLEASE dont leave the forums! We need more active parents on these boards. Parents right in the thick of it. I wrote my response to you this morning and you know adhd well enough with your son to know that its easy to fire from the hip which is what I did. When I finish this response I am going to re-read and comment on what I did write. Seriously I should know better. I had to fight over and over for my son who is was gifted, above grade level, bad handwriting etc. I need to read the whole thing with fresh eyes. DO not be pushed to leave please. My youngest is now 14. I joined this forum 7 years ago and everything was different. My perspective was different, my kids were in different stages (I was slowly decending into alcoholism). I promise you my fresh read wont be much like my early morning word bomb.

I carried a watermelon?