View Single Post
Old 02-09-18, 05:11 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,591 Times in 14,573 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Meeting with School Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen_in_SanJose View Post
It is suffering because he can't focus. He gets anxiety about not finishing assignments. He isn't like one of those kids that doesn't care and blows it off. He is literally in a panic in the morning if he knows he didn't finish something. And for what? Because he didn't write the 20th sentence to correct grammar that he already knows and it would be more appropriate to just correct the grammar rather than re-write the entire sentence.
Ignore everything I said this morning. My youngest has awful anxiety about things like this. She was classified with an IEP up until 6th grade and then mainstreamed. She is a perfectionist and is the hardest critic of herself. She talks about school being stressful so much but to her it is. She worries about college and Id rather she worry about the mall.

Quote:
As for "testing out", again we are in a private school. It doesn't work that way. The material he is learning is only 25% of it for me. I want him well rounded, interested and exposed to lots of different things and his peers. Socially he is in the right class. I would never want him younger in grade, especially in the HS years when he will be immature and unable to handle the peer craziness plus the workload. More kids at our school stay back as the work is challenging(they are likely doing 5th grade work compared to public school), so for example my daughter is 11 in 6th grade but she has at least 5 kids that just turned 13... He is already in advanced math, so we are all good.
Of course this makes sense. I personally believe the most useful life skills learned in school are the social ones. How to related to others, moral code, empathy. This would be hard if he was the youngest one in a class.

Quote:
At this stage I am not even sure college will be the right place for him. Yes he is super smart, but if he doesn't enjoy school he will need to find something he is passionate about and that will make him excited to learn. Right now he wants to be a chef. Yes, he can focus on a recipe for well over an hour...He is 9 and makes some really good food. Everything that I have read on ADHD inattentive is him to a T. If something excites him he can super focus, if something is boring he struggles and struggles.
My daughter-the one who is about to turn 18 wanted for years to go to culinary school then its like she..tapped out. She gets good grades but her workload is easy- I mean if she were more academically minded she would be bored to death. We think we've got her nailed down to try community college and are hoping she doesnt change her mind and decide to go find herself.

Quote:
So sad to me that all of your schools struggle to implement these state mandated plans and they can't just see what your children need. This is making me more and more confident that public school is not the place for him. As for a "gifted school", most of them would provide more work and I want him to be a kid and play and have fun with his friends. I don't need him to be Doogie Howser at age 16 and I don't think he is off the charts IQ wise, just lucky to be smarter. I haven't had his IQ tested so I couldn't tell you what it is or where he falls. Homeschooling is not an option for many many reasons, but thanks for the suggestion.
It is sad. And its phenominal that you have a parochial school that does this for you. I ASSURE you here in NJ that would never happen. They would rather kick a student out then make accommodations.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (02-09-18)