View Single Post
Old 02-09-18, 05:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 28,721 Times in 13,282 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: my horrible addiction to smoking

I think for now just very very gradually make little changes...like stepping outside. I'm curious why you think that would be a deal-breaker for you. I always smoked outdoors and I did it in pouring rain,freezing cold and when oj days when it was so windy that it would take me 20min to light a cigarette (no exaggeration. I checked the time...). The only time when I smoked indoors was at uni when I stayed in uni accommodation and then I'd just chain smoke. I'd have about 5 cigs during the day and then smoke 15 or more in the evening in my room. So I think keeping it outdoors definitely reduced my smoking but because I knew I go outside for a smoke anytime it wasn't that difficult (even though I had fewer cigs).

I mean I'm not saying it has to be possible for you as well but I'm just curious about what is worrying you with smoking outdoors.

I also agree that you don't have to stop smoking right away. Your sobriety is definitely more important. I'd like to say that if you could quit alcohol you can probably quit smoking but I've been telling myself the same with overeating and well, it doesn't work at all...

When you do decide to quit I can't really recommend vaping enough. It gets rid of the withdrawal effects because you are still getting your shot of nicotine but it breaks the habit, the ritual of smoking. Even if you get habituated to vaping...that's still a lot better than smoking.

Another thing, for me the worst thought was the finality of quitting, the thought that I'd never smoke again. It made me not want to quit ever. I couldn't deal with the finality of it. So when I quit I told myself that in a few years if I really wanted to I could go back to smoking. That helped too.

Finally, whatever you decide please don't be so hard in yourself. You are not weak or anything like that. You quit drinking and that takes a very strong person. Also, quitting smoking is incredibly hard. I think nicotine is one of the most addictive substances out there. And with ADHD it's even harder. I remember reading a paper in which they said that people with ADHD were more likely to continue smoking after trying it, to get addicted to it, to struggle more to quit, suffer worse withdrawal effects and to go back to smoking. I don't remember the details but they argued it was because of how nicotine affects out pleasure and reward centres (I think, i genuinely don't remember but they into the chemistry of it). Sorry not sure if that is discouraging but please don't be hard on yourself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-09-18), ToneTone (02-11-18)