View Single Post
Old 02-24-18, 04:45 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,013 Times in 14,806 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADD Linked With RMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by O’shea86 View Post
Hello,
I am curious if anyone out there has a diagnosis of ADD and RMD (Rythmic Movement Disorder). Also known as head banging, head rolling, etc...
I have been told RMD is an increase in brain activity which causes arms and legs to be more active at night and I’ve read that in a lot of ADD studies, many people struggle to fall sleep or stay asleep. I have RMD and I strongly feel that I have ADD based on my symptoms. Anyone with RMD out there who can shed some light on the matter? Thank you.
Found this:

Quote:
RHYTHMIC MOVEMENT DISORDER
Rhythmic Movement Disorder (RMD) primarily occurs in young children and is characterized by head banging or body rocking prior to sleep onset and sometimes during sleep itself. Most children outgrow the disorder. It is not truly considered a disorder unless sleep-related injury is present (which is uncommon), or daytime consequences related to reduced sleep quality are present (ICSD-2). The disorder often disappears as children age.14

ADHD Symptoms in Rhythmic Movement Disorder
Dyken et al were the first to note the association between ADHD and RMD. They reported that 3 of 7 children, aged 1–12 years, with video-polysomnographically documented RMD had attention deficit disorder (ADD) by past medical history.15 No attempt was made to confirm the ADD diagnosis, and the observation went without further comment. Stepanova et al confirmed these results: ADHD was present in 6 of 10 children with RMD who were formally assessed for the presence of ADHD symptoms.16 The authors found the inattentive subtype in 4 of the 6 children with ADHD and the combined inattentive and hyperactive type in 2 of the 6 children with ADHD. The authors suggest that immaturity of premotor and striatal circuits may be involved in both RMD and ADHD, or that RMD may be yet another sleep disorder potentially causing symptoms of ADHD. The subjects in this study were beyond the age range at which RMD usually disappears (average age in this study 14.7 years) and one of the subjects was an adult, aged 24 years.16

Rhythmic Movement Disorder in ADHD
Taken from the opposite perspective, 150 children and adolescents with various psychiatric problems were compared to a normal control group of 309 subjects from the general population. Fourteen of the psychiatric patients had ADD, and 6 of these 14 had head banging, compared to none in the control group.17 This result will obviously have to be verified in a larger study.

Summary: ADHD seems to be more common in RMD and, in turn, RMD seems to be more common in ADHD. The sample sizes tested are small, and results need to be confirmed in larger series. Whether sleep disruption from RMD leads to symptoms of ADHD, or whether a program for increased motor activity has a common diathesis in both RMD and ADHD bears further investigation.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2603539/
Actually the whole article was interesting.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (02-24-18)