View Single Post
Old 02-24-18, 02:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,059 Times in 799 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: ADD Linked With RMD

[p 26] Also, as summarized earlier, the results of recent studies do indeed indicate that ADHD may improve with treatment of OSA [Obstructive Sleep Apnea].61,68,72
[p 27] Children usually outgrow DOA [Disorders of Partial Arousal] but DOA may recur in adulthood under conditions of emotional or physical stress.73–82
(See quotes in article link posted by SarahSweets)

Interestingly, I had my tonsils removed due to chronic tonsillitis when I was young.

I wonder if treating sleep disorders and/or anxiety disorders in early life could reduce the number of diagnoses of AD(H)D, or misdiagnosis of ADHD?

I also wonder how many disorders that mimic ADHD, would meet the diagnositic criteria for AD(H)D?

Thank you for posting this information, at the least the information is a great example of how our brains develop from the lower midbrain and up. (Ground up/Bottom up) And how different types of autonomic distresses, may influence the ground up emergence of AD(H)D.

A lot of these questions can begin to be addressed, by treating certain sleeping disorders.

Note that certain types of distresses may prolong some people from outgrowing these disorders, in early childhood.

In other words, reducing certain types of distresses may help people outgrow certain disorders.

Maybe treating anxiety and depression may help some people outgrow AD(H)D, and maybe if anxiety and depression are not treated makes it less likely to outgrow ADHD?

"When people are suffering mentally, they want to feel better—they want to stop having bad emotions and start having good emotions." (-Temple Grandin)

Last edited by mildadhd; 02-24-18 at 02:52 PM..