View Single Post
Old 02-26-18, 09:53 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,574 Times in 15,083 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It makes me doubt ADD is real when..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I read in Dr. Mate’s books that ADHD causation could involve both genetic and environmental factors (nature and nurture), but there does not always need to be genetic factors.
I disagree. I think there has to be a genetic component and that environment will play a large roll in how those genetics cause adhd to emerge.

Quote:
People with ADHD are hypersensitive.

That is not a fault or a weakness of theirs, it is how they were born.

It is their inborn temperament.

That, primarily, is what is hereditary about ADHD.

Genetic inheritance by itself cannot account for the presence of ADHD features in people, but heredity can make it far more likely that these features will emerge in a given individual, depending on circumstances.

It is sensitivity, not disorder, that is transmitted through heredity.

In most cases, ADHD is caused by the impact of the environment on particularly sensitive infants.
-Gabor Mate M.D., “Scattered”, p 59.
I do not believe it is inborn temperament or sensitivity that is the genetic variant of adhd. I think saying adhd people are more sensitive due to emotional regulation issues is more accurate. Emotional regulation issues I believe are part of the genetic code that makes up adhd.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (02-26-18), psychopathetic (02-26-18)
Sponsored Links