View Single Post
Old 03-08-18, 09:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,206 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What has been your typical experience with a Psychiatrist for an ADHD follow-up v

Medication management sessions are typically short.

Fifteen minutes to 30 minutes depending on the practitioner.

She asks how I've been.

I update her ... trying to remember what problems I've had and successes I have ... whether I am feeling like I need more help from my medications or whether I'm OK.

She knows I'm at work on a major creative project. She asks me about that and how that is going ...

We then get to what I'm taking and specifically whether to stay on same dose or make adjustments ...

It takes a lot of time just for the provider to to confirm what I'm taking, write out new scripts (she writes monthly post-dated scripts as "refills" aren't allowed in my state) ...

The general rule ... Unless you are paying out of network for an expensive psychiatrist, medication management sessions (that's the term for psychiatrist visits that don't involve "talk" therapy) will last 10 to 15 minutes. These meetings are incredibly short. I go to a psychiatric nurse practitioner who gives me a bit more time ... and the private out-of-insurance guy I used to go to would give me more time.

As far bringing up "anything," ... yes .... I might have met a woman I'm dating ... or broken up with a woman ... or hit a snag at my job ... When my parents died, I would share that ... Sleep problems ... stresses ... work issues ... whatever you want to share ... The more the better ... because basically there is no "irrelevant" information ...

Doesn't mean they will react to everything ... But sometimes stuff is relevant ... When my mom was ill and dying, my psychiatrist didn't want to lower my medication, something we had talked about ... he knew I would be stressed.

Sometimes we discuss my caffeine intake ... (affects sleep) ... all kinds of information can come up ...I might notice I haven't been sleeping as well and notice that I slept well when I didn't drink coffee in the afternoon ... Our bodies keep changing, so we have to keep adjusting ...

Just show up. Nothing to freak out about ... Nothing to hide ... That's the cool thing, you really don't wanna hide anything from these folks is the way I see it. They're they're to help ... and it takes a while to learn that pretty much everything in your life affects your concentration and mood ... so that's why so many topics can come up.

Tone
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-09-18), Budkeiser (03-08-18), PoppnNSailinMan (04-25-18)