View Single Post
Old 09-06-18, 06:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,892 Times in 13,803 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Balance between accomodating for ADHD and discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGoldberg View Post
Wow, thanks guys for the great input. I will read your responses more closely later - at work, lol.

I did read "How to talk so kids will listen, and listen so kids will talk" and it helped give me a vocabulary that was more direct but not "yelling at the kids"; it's tough because you can tell her something multiple times and it's like she doesn't hear you - she's off in her own world making her own wonderful plans. Other times she (and her younger sister) start yelling and it seems the only way to cut through the noise is to raise your own voice too!

She's in counseling now and right away one of the things the counselor reminded her was she needs to do something the first time she's asked. I hesitate to say "remember what Dr. Fleming said!" at home, because I don't want her to start associating "pain in the ***" with the counselor!

Regards,
Daniel
I've found with my daughter (who is only 2 and hopefully doesn't have ADHD but just the usual toddler
Stuff) that yelling louder when she's yelling (or singing or generally not paying attention to me when I need her to) doesnt help as much as when I get down to her eye level. Ideally with something that catches her interest. This might be easier with a two-year old who gets fascinated by, an old spoon but ithink.maybe visual cues can be more striking than auditory ones. I
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
DanielGM1970 (09-06-18)