Thread: Lethargy
View Single Post
Old 09-09-18, 04:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,896 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lethargy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrahedra View Post
Question for you all:

Does anyone else feel tired (when not medicated)?

When I'm not medicated, I get very sleepy in the middle of the day. There are only a few hours throughout the day in which I am at top of my game. I can nap for HOURS. But regardless, I move more slowly (well, I can still move really quickly it's just that I think more slowly or something) and it takes much more effort to start tasks.

I take stimulants and they keep me awake during the day and help give me the extra push to do tasks. I can speak more coherently and I function so much better at my tasks. Overall, I really like the meds. But when I can, I take a day off because I don't like being medicated if I don't need to be. (That goes for any medication that's not 100% necessary.) Recently I took several days off because I could, and its occurred to me that I'm pretty much slow and lethargic without the medication.

Do other people experience this?

One of my fears is that I'll become addicted to medication and I'll convince myself that I NEED it even when I really don't. So I was trying to figure out which is "normal" for people: the slower me or the faster me. Like is everyone else living at the slower pace and they're just able to push themselves to do tasks better than I can because they don't have ADHD? Or is everyone else living at the faster pace and pushing themselves to do tasks isn't as hard for them to begin with? (Essentially I'm asking myself if I'm having deficits more in the "pushing" or the "pacing.") Not sure if that makes sense, so feel free to just answer my question if it doesn't and disregard this paragraph.

Regardless, I do need the medication in the sense that it really has improved my life. I'm not doubting that. I just don't want to feel like I'm worthless without it.

It is important to be clear eyed about this issue. ie When you take the medication and get a drop off in effect at the end of the day, it is too easy to assume you are "addicted" to it when in truth you are just going back to the normal pre-medication state.

So being clear about what you were like, and what you find beneficial about the medication is important.

Stimulants do have a direct effect on the "alertness centre" (the locus coeruleus) via norepinephrine and dysregulation of alertness is a known issue in ADHD, so what you are observing is not unreasonable.

For myself I am keen to find methods to enhance my alertness without medications to ensure I get maximum independence. There are quite a few meditation techniques (esp QiGong), vigorous exercise, and exercise involving a balance challenge that can be done. At least if I keep looking out for these I know I am not being lazy.

The association with meditation is especially important and I often regard it as the art of attention training.

Oh,the other thing too is if you have a concern about being dependent on it, firstly you have a medical condition (ie people normally dont get stressed about being dependent on blood pressure medications), secondly ask your doctor about it. He may be able to reassure you or he may be comfortable with you having the odd trial off medication. This used to be done routinely with children, taking them off on holidays or weekends. It is all information.

Ive actually had atrial of 3 days off, which was very successful until I slept poorly last night due to a cracked rib. Yes the resumption was helpful

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (09-09-18), Pilgrim (09-20-18)