View Single Post
Old 09-09-18, 04:10 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of
Re: What techniques do you use to read more effectively?

I'm a really slow reader, too. I'm reading a book now that I started over a year ago...well, several books, because whenever I hit a boring section of a book or hear about another interesting book, I often start a new one so that I'm usually reading four or five books at the same time and go back and forth between them. And when I return to a book after reading another one for a while, I've usually forgotten quite a bit of what I had read before.

But being on medication for my ADHD has made a big difference. In the past, I would often start books and never finish them because I lost interest in them, became more interested in another book, or even completely forgot about them. I also would often start to get a little drowsy when I would sit down to read, especially if it was a difficult or complicated text.

Lately, however, I seem to be persevering with the same few books instead of starting new ones all the time without finishing the old ones. I also find that I can read more challenging books for longer periods of time and don't get drowsy when I'm reading some books like I used to. I don't think that I'm reading any faster, though.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-09-18)