View Single Post
Old 09-09-18, 02:26 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of
Re: Executive function

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Are we sure Barkley meant we can't consciously prioritize correctly or did he mean more an emotional, subconscious thing?

Cause if he meant consciously, I disagree. I know very well I need to finish my work project first. I just can't get myself to do it.
I know what things I should be doing and have an idea of which things are more important than others. But I just have a very difficult time sticking to any sort of schedule and still get sucked into doing things that are often not important but which I usually find more stimulating or interesting.

One of the biggest problems for me is that I have very little sense of the passage of time, especially during so-called "hyperfocus" (or "perseveration" as Barkley likes to call it). Almost every day, I will do something like check the news or go to an online forum with the intention of just spending 15 minutes and the next thing I know, three or four hours have passed. I usually can't figure out how that much time could have passed.

Sometimes, I've just closed my eyes while lying in bed and let my mind wander and it will seem to me like it's only been 20 minutes or half an hour when it's actually been two hours.

And, of course, I usually overestimate how long it will take to do tasks I don't like doing. I might think about washing the dishes and will tell myself that it will take "too long" when I could probably have done them in 20 minutes.

This lack of much sense of the passage of time and how long it takes to do things makes it difficult to manage my time and stick to any schedules I set for myself. And my ADHD medication doesn't seem to be helping in this particular area.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (09-09-18), italianstallion (09-10-18), Lunacie (09-09-18), peripatetic (09-09-18), psychopathetic (09-09-18)